New to pipe smoking, just joined the forum!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kissofdeath

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Hi guys, my names Anthony.
I finally committed myself to pipe smoking, I have always enjoyed it but never stuck to it.

I just purchased my first starter pipe on an auction, I'm not sure on how great it is, but I'm not to worried about that for my first pipe. It's a Savinelli Antique Shell # 1018.

My main experience with tobacco is the Mac baren brand.

I would love any recommendations from you guys, I'm not picky, I'm very open to different types of tobacco from aro to strong full flavor tobacco.

And any first time advice would be much appreciated!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Welcome! +1 on Cortez, it may seem overwhelming at first, but after a few samples of different blends you ll get the hang of it!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome aboard!

First off, a Savinelli Autograph is a great pipe! I don't know what you paid for it, but they are Savinelli's top of the line.

As for Mac Baren, their blends make up a large portion of my rotation/cellar. They make quality tobaccos at a reasonable price.

There are a multitude of great brands out there to try, and I recommend you do a little homework on all of them.

Some of my other favorite blenders are as follows;
Orlik

Dunhill

McClelland

Sam Gawith (their non-Lakeland blends)

Hearth & Home

Escudo

Lane Limited

Capstan

Dan Tobacco

Middleton OTC's such as Carter Hall, Prince Albert and Half & Half

Sutliff

And more!
Have fun, take your time, do your homework and practice!

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest trying anything and everything that looks appealing to you. After you've weeded out a few that you like stock up on them but continue to experiment with new blends.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
You've probably read it many times here Anthony but it's worth repeating, be patient if you run into problems. Pipe smoking has a long learning curve, at least for many of us :wink:

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I am noob myself and so far I really like Dunhill Royal Yacht mixture,Dunhill nitecap,Peterson Sunset Breeze and a house blend, coffee flavored aromatic tasty.Welcome to the forum.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Welcome to the forums! Hope you enioy yourself here. Everything above me is great advice! I say get a couple of cheap cobs, order a wide variety sample pack and see what you like. Once you find a blend or two you enjoy, I use tobaccoreviews.com and enter the characteristics of the blend I enioy, and look for high rating blends there.
My two cents! Happy piping!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
ae1pt, love that comment. Pipe-ing is one serious collectors addiction from collecting pipes of many styles and smokes to collecting many MANY kinds of tobacco. the world is your choice and its full of different types of baccy and tons of pipes to choose from. Enjoy the adventure and find were the happy point is for your soon to be collection.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Welcome to the forums brother.I did start of with aros and now in love with latakia blends.Its a wide world of tobaccos out there and it just never ends.The only thing i can say is give it a chance.Ae1pt said it run for your life.(LOL) i think if you give it a chance you'll love it.If you need any help or advice this forum is great friendly and full of pipers with great knowledge.keep puffin on.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum, and pipe smoking. I will share my standard advice to new folks: Smoke the best tobacco, in the best pipes, you can afford. Doing so will enhance your enjoyment of the hobby.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Welcome to the forums.
Another good way to sample tobacco is to join a pipe club in your area or to frequent a local tobacconist (aka B&M her, which stands for brick and mortar) or both. I am in southern NJ and we have a pipe club in Philadelphia that meets monthly. I have been able to sample some outstanding tobacco without having to shell out a $1. Most pipe smokers are very generous with both their time, knowledge, and tobacco supplies.
Good luck and feel free to ask any questions, although I would suggest (as I am sure your teacher taught you when you were younger) to search the forums for a topic. It probably has been discussed a dozen times already.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums. Lots of information, advice, opinions and discussion here. Take the time to read the articles

and listen to the radio segments, etc. It puts all of the posts in context. There are some gifted tobacco blenders

and pipe carvers on Forums, and the sponsors are real pipe people with great products. It sounds like you're

starting out with good briar and tobacco.

kissofdeath

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm receiving my pipe hopefully by Wednesday, so I'll definitely post some pics when I get it and for sure clean it out well.

kissofdeath

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Question guys, how often should I rest my pipe between smokes, also I know some people who have a larger collection of pipes dedicate a certain tobacco to that pipe but since I'm going to sick with this one for now is it alright to try different tobaccos in the same pipe without leaving the flavor of the previous?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome!
it may seem overwhelming at first
+1
But that is also the fun of it. Pipe smoking looks deceptively simple on the surface, but it offers great depth in many forms.

Question guys, how often should I rest my pipe between smokes, also I know some people who have a larger collection of pipes dedicate a certain tobacco to that pipe but since I'm going to sick with this one for now is it alright to try different tobaccos in the same pipe without leaving the flavor of the previous?
Ah - now you've done it! You've open the proverbial can o' worms. :puffy:
My opinion (which many don't agree with) is that it's okay to use the same pipe with a variety of blends. Especially when your palette is just starting out, but even later on. I think once you develop a real sense of what you like and start delving into special varieties - you may wish to dedicate a pipe, but IMHO, in many cases, not necessary.
As for resting a pipe - this I do believe you want to do this if possible. Ideally 3-4 days rest between smokes. If you smoke one pipe more than once per day - without rest, you will probably notice that the pipe offers a stale smoke. If just once per day, you may be able to get away with that.
Many add cobs to their rotation to fill the gap.
In any case - stick around and enjoy the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.