New to Pipe Smoking. Good pipe shops in Los Angeles?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stgermaine

Lurker
Jun 19, 2012
Hi. I like doing things the old fashioned way. I write with a fountain pen, drink coffee from a french filter, and often seen wearing khakis whereas my contemporaries are wearing denims.
I live in Los Angeles and would like to try pipe smoking. Life isn't measured about how long it's lived but how it's lived, and I'd like to enjoy the fine art of tobacco smoking.
Please suggest me a good pipe store in Los Angeles and what are some tobaccos that a beginner should sample in order to develop one's taste.
Thank you

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Let me begin by welcoming you aboard.

Second you are embarking on a life-long hobby and passion.

One that we all here share.
I have family in the LA, but no first hand knowledge of any B&Ms there.

However: This is a link copied from the tabs at the top of the page.

It is a good place to start: Pipe Store Locator
:puffy:

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey ST,

Here are a few tobacco shops I frequent in L.A.:
1. Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco shop, Beverly Hills, CA (a great, old school pipe & tobacco shop with a lot of history and very nice people--not a huge selection of tinned tobaccos but great house blends--try their Father Dempsey's blend, a great English blend)
2. Tobacco Trader, Marina del Rey, CA (good selection of tobaccos and pipes and decent prices)
3. Planet Tobacco, Glendale, CA (very good selection of tobaccos and decent pipe selection)
4. Tobacco Barn (in Orange County--very nice people with a great selection of tobaccos and pipes).
Tobaccos:

Aromatics--Maple Street, Lane's 1Q

English blends--Frog Morton, Just for Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms, Balkan Sasieni, Maltese Falcon

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Hello, Sorringowl is absolutely correct! Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco shop is a wonderful old school pipe shop. Every time business brings me to L.A. I try to make a stop there. Great shop you can't go wrong there. :puffpipe:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum and pipe smoking.
I hesitate to recommend tobaccos without knowing your smoking background, if any. If you have been a cigar smoker,I would recommend a latakia blend,to help you get the fuller flavors you are used to. If you are coming from cigs,I would recommend a burley blend,since the nic levels are higher. For non-smokers,many people recommend an aro. Aromatics are often considered the "entry blend", because you can get a lot of flavor - even if it might not taste like tobacco. On the downside, they can be - at the lower end - hard to light and keep lit,and can burn hot.
If you are going to go the B&M route, talk to the staff there. Kramer's sure sounds like it would be a winner. :puffy:

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
There is a great 4 part video on Youtube about Kramer's. The daughter is now blending all of the old man's blends from his original recipes, she still has the card catalog for all the celebrities and their personal blends. Really cool history.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks- I had viewed all four of those last night.
What a trip! First, the original Tinderbox, a classic straight from the 50's! Nice chats with the gents on duty, looked at some estates, sent a photo of one to a Barling collector, but nothing really grabbed me.
20 minute drive from there to Kramer's, found a parking spot on Rodeo, and walked back for their 11 A.M. opening. At 11:10, still dark, so called and left a message. Sullenly walked back to car, but saw a nice Bang And Olafson shop with no customers, so checked out their flagship UHD set, very cool, but at $27,500, left without a single one.
On a hope, walked back to Kramers, and the Indian was out front, and the door open! Nice chat with Mrs. (Kramer) Keller while I sorted through their estates and sampled both New Blend and Fr. Dempsey's blend. Got a sweet little prince, GBD and four ounces of New Blend. It's excellent!
Pictures when I can get to them.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I had read a lot about Father Dempsey's blend and New blend, how are they both? I almost emailed her to order a few ounces of both, but I need to wait until I kill some of what I have piled up around here. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.