PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
Hello there I am new here. I'm looking for flavourful tobacco I have tried captain black gold and to tell you the truth I'm very disappointed with it. Creates smoke but there is no body to it no experience basically to me it's a waste of time and money. How ever I would like to know some flavourful aromatics or something sweet in taste. I recently ordered CAO eileens dream, 7 seas black, and Mac barren vanilla cream flake. From 4noggins.com it should be here in just over a week hopefully.
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Welcome aboard! If you're looking for an actual sweet taste, as opposed to a sweet smell in the smoke, give Virginias a try. Orlik Golden Sliced and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake are good bets, and I know the members here can recommend dozens more.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, that's pretty subjective and open to opinion. I think they have plenty of flavor, but it's plain Va tobacco flavor. Bear in mind that with the aromatics you have mentioned, what you smell from the unburned tobacco, and in the tobacco smoke, is not what you will actually taste on your tongue. Room note vs. flavor, as it were.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Try a sampler pack from Carol Burns at Pipeworks & Wilke. All of he blends are made from top quality leaf and blended by hand
http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Welcome to the forum! A couple of my first time favorites was the Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake and Ruins of Isengard from justforhim.com. They were both sweet, flavorful, and easy to smoke.
Cheers,

Jared

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Welcome. You have good tobacco coming and some great suggestions above. I don't smoke many aromatics, mostly Virginias and Va/Pers, but I have found that Boswells makes some great aromatics with more body and flavor than others. I especially like Bear Blend.

Casa Magna oscuro robusto, hmmm... You sound like a burgeoning VaPer fan. Escudo. Forget that whole exploration into aromatics, and step into bold spicy tobacco flavor. There's a whole realm of VaPers with that full flavor like you have developed in cigars. I think Escudo would be a good start, and from there you can go sweeter, bolder, or more spicy. Just my $0.02.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
another +1 for Escudo
Can't get enough of that stuff ... Sooooooooo good !

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I came to pipe smoking from cigars as well. I second the suggestions for VaPers. I really like Stokkebye Navy Flake. Really, all three of the Stokkebye Luxury flakes are excellent. On the tin front, I'd suggest GL Pease Haddo's Delight. That is a nice, sweet VaBuPer that has a lot of body and spice. Vincent Manil's Semois is a straight tobacco with a cigar like flavor.
Have you tried, or are you interested in trying any English Latakia blends? As a cigar smoker, they were really what first kept me coming back to the pipe. I'm currently smitten with Bengal Slices, which I think could be an excellent Latakia blend for a new smoker. Well, for any smoker, really.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I know exactly what ya mean. A lot of aromatics can be "empty" and void of character. In my search for an aromatic that actually tastes like smells like in the tin I have only found 3;
Sillem - Black (Don't let the Latakia scare you off, it's in there but it adds body to the aromatic characteristics.)

Dan Tobacco - Blue Note

Cornel and Diehl - Autumn Evening
Think you will be really satisfied with these here aro's...
I will +3 Escudo, but only if you're interested in non-aromatics. Escudo has to be one of my all time favorites. Just amazing tobacco but it took me a long time to understand.
Good luck!

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
It's funny that you made the same mistake that I had, when opting to choose capt black gold, which to date remains the worst tobacco I've ever experienced.

I'm also fond of the sweeter brands, and highly suggest you try both Anniversary Kake and 1—Q. If you need something with a greater punch try First Virginia Flake, but careful as I've seen people get nauseous from the nicotine punch. I often mix FVF with 1-Q.

A.Js vaper is also great, I'm a big fan of Virginia based Hearth & Home tobaccos.

Get some Anniversary Kake and thank me later when it becomes your go-to smoke.
And toss out that Capt Black or use it to give your towels a better scent by placing the bag in the closet, but for heavens sake never light that stuff again.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
+1 for Anniversary Kake. I like it by itself, but it's also really nice with a bit of C&D's Autumn Evening mixed in.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
You should first learn how to smoke a pipe......
Different strength and rhythm result in heaven and hell.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Anni Kake for sure. I've also found Capstan Blue and McClelland Navy Cavendish (a touch of rum) to have a lot of sweetness.
And don't abandon aromatics because of a Captain Black experience. Try something with solid tobaccos underneath that's topped with a lighter hand: McClelland Deep Hollow, GL Pease Virgina Cream or Classic Burley Kake

Status
Not open for further replies.