New to Pipe actually smoked my first bowl today!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I'm very interested in smoking pipe but it was very overwhelming to find the right beginner pipe let alone find the right tobacco for me. There aren't any smoke shops near me i was lucky to find a Fortinos super store which happen to have a closet size smoke shop. I got myself what to me seems like a decent briar pipe for 30$ its made by MEDICO but what do i know it smokes pretty good. unfortunately all they had was Captain Black Royal it was ok but really bitter. i want something smooth and really smokey as in easy to pull. any advice? i would like flavor as well but as long as its smooth and pulls easy ill take it.
is there a forum sampler pack i can get from here? mind you I am in Canada so I would like to have it shipped to me.
I wanna give pipe as many chances as i can because i quit smoking cigarettes and wanna switch to once a week pipe smoke to relax.
Thanks in advance

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Pipes and Cigars as well as 4noggins have sampler packs to choose from mate. Welcome to the forums BTW. I am assuming that Medico Pipe you bought is a Brylon if you got it at a Smoke Shack for $30.00. Make sure you toss the paper filter, it will smoke better without it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome smokeybear. I can't [add] much to what nsfisher said. It takes a while to get a handle on pipe tobacco - there's a lot to choose from and it just takes time and a little research. Happy hunting! :puffy:
Edit: I [add]ed one word, L.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Welcome aboard. :D

While aromatics smoke hotter i enjoy them better, just give them a good drying time.

I started with Peterson's Sunset Breeze, amaretto flavored.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
aromatics are a great start IMO. they'll get you well-acquainted with the whole thing and then you can start to leverage those to learn what sort of tobaccos you like/love/hate and explore from there.
welcome to the insanity!
doody

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Welcome to PipesMagezine, smokeybear! Pay attention, there's a wealth of knowledge to be found here. If you start with an aromatic, take it easy, they can cause wicked tongue bite, which isn't a fun experience. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
if you can get a small amount of Lane 1Q or BCA they smoke very well, taste great and have a good room note.

I am currently smoking my 1st bowl of Mac Baren 7 Seas Red as my order just arrived today from Pipes & Cigars. Tomorrow will be a great day, get to try out some Vanilla Black Cavendish and "Meat Candy".

Welcome aboard smokeybear :puffpipe:

prettyinpink648

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Welcome Smokeybear! You've picked the right place for advice. There is so much good information on this site. Everyone is really helpful. Good luck, half the fun for me has been learning, asking questions, watching youtube videos aNd practicing.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Greetings and Welcome!!! Great advice already given. Looking forward to hearing from you and your pipe smoking adventure.
Jason

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I disagree with tossing that paper filter right off the bat. Especially if you are starting out with not so great aros. It will keep the gurgle down to a minimum but drawing out the moisture. Also the pipe was designed for that draw so taking out the filter means you will have a much more open draw and you will probably smoke it too hot if you don't know what you are doing.

If you don't want to use the filter you can get an adapter to fix the draw for fifty cents or so. If you keep the filter make sure you change them often! i would change it after every smoke.
There's tons of great nice people here that will give you advice. Just sit back and take your time to read and relax. You will enjoy your new hobby much more!
I also second getting some samplers from the likes of pipesandcigars.com

I suggest the victory lap sampler as it has a bit of variety and some great tobacco.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I also second getting some samplers from the likes of pipesandcigars.com
+1
If you want something smoky tasting try an English Blend. I started with Dunhill Early Morning Pipe as a first English and now my blood runs black with Latakia! Lane 1-Q is like a better Captain Black Royal, but if you are getting on P&C anyway, get a tin of their Hearth and Home Caramel Apple Pie!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums

If your looking for something that's "smokey" and full of flavor, maybe a good English or Balkan

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Thanks for the warm welcomes and great advice I must say it has been a great night with my pipe it was my works Christmas party and I decided to bring my new hobby along with me. After the third bowl mind you I was smoking it with friends and other curious coworkers I've seemed to get the packing down really well third smoke I never had to relite it it just lasted for 30min straight it was amazing.
As far as the links and the sampler packs sold online this is a wonderful idea and I will be ordering it as soon as I can.
I'm really looking forward to my new pipe smoking hobby and I'm really glad I found this forum so far it has been tremendous help thanks again.
Ps Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and happy holidays and time off work to all the rest also good smoking for the new year.
This is smokeybear signing off a happier man lol

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's a mini-review I did of the blend when it first came out: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pampc-fusion-labs-caramel-apple-pie#post-165494 It really is a great aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.