PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300566979642&si=QfMRJhp%252FkXQLyYud0aA3aD%252BSiNI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
I won this pipe today and it completes a circle of Cannoy pipes for me.
Walt Cannoy has an interesting history as a carver. You can read it here: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Cannoy
I bought my first Cannoy pipe off ebay a long time ago...I suspect 2002-2003 or so but I don't remember, anyhoo... it was a beautifully styled Danish freehand and it smoked like a dream. If I ever had to travel it was always one of my pipe choices to go along with me.
It is resting at the bottom of White Iron Lake near Ely, MN. :crying: It is a sordid tale of tragic miscalculation, greed, international duplicity ( a Canadian was involved ) and a fishing boat.
I always vowed to get another, but like many of my vows I never pursued it with much seriousness. Cannoy pipes are as scarce as hen's teeth, too. Walt never made a lot of pipes and those that are out in circulation don't change hands very often. He also had a bad run of health/marriage issues which further limited his production.
Here is what is left of his website; http://www.cannoypipes.com/
Today I got my second chance.
Look like a beauty. 8)

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Better buy your UncleArthur pipe soon......he may be in the same category someday. :D

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
looking forward to the pics portascat! You have a Cannoy?
@ oldmaus - Is Arthur going to fall out of a boat!! 8O

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I doubt it is anything special. Might be made out of Chinese Tallow tree for all i know. But probably not.
If you like those kids of pipes, all it needs is a stem and some cleaning. I might even have the stem.
I will give it to you. I got no use for it at all. It is worth something between 50 cents and a million dollars. If you find it close to the million dollar range, get back with me.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I'll give him dibs. If he don't, you can.
Only caveat is that no woman should smoke it, else the "Great Unholy Name That Shall Remain Unspoken" will be loosed upon the Earth.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Very generous of you porta, very generous.
I think I'll let bootleg have it, though. I have a new Cannoy on the way now and this will give another pipeman a chance at a pipe by a somewhat rare carver that seems to be out of the industry now.
I'm sure memory had clouded some of my old pipe's qualities, but I remember the draw was exceptional and it was a very easy pipe to smoke. I don't think it could be packed wrong enough to not smoke well. It was just an all around great pipe. Walt gave good attention to the engineering aspect of his craft.
Thanks for the offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.