PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Well I finally made the plunge and spent more than a little on a pipe. Not much compared to most pipes, but more than I really could justify...
Here is the pic from seller.

tankard.jpg

Its going directly to a buddy to be restored and stained this color(or really close to it)

1371549_4781181986338_1108152255_n.jpg

Ive been obsessed with the racing green from peterson. As far as I have been able to find they never made the tankard in it. So when I ran across this deal, I figured why even touch it, send it direct and get what I want. lol

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice Pete and has beautiful grain. It should look just as good in green. You'll have to post up a pic for sure once you get it back.
edit: Even though I'm not a fan of the green it just makes sense that an Irish pipe should be green. I do kind of like the green spigots.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice Tankard, That's the older style you have there, I like it! I jus received a rusticated Pete Tankard, as a gift from another member, and I love it! I love the Racing Green pipes as well, and a green Tankard should look great! Let us see it when it's done!

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I cant wait, it was a tough decision to send it straight to him with out at least a few days to love on it. But I already have another pipe in his hands, will make it easier to not explain the full truth to the wife... Just kinda leave out the buying part of it. lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just received a green pipe for my birthday, at my request, a Chacom Exquise 185 straight billiard. I'd never done

a color stain before, but it just dawned on me, and I really like it. Green pipes have a presence, a sort of gravitas.

Hope yours fills the bill.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have what looks to be a very similar pipe: a made in Ireland banded tank. Also purchased as an estate and refurbished. Rest assured: It's a great smoker. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats - both fine looking pipes. I like the green personally, but I've heard it goes away after time, so I've passed them up thus far. No matter - great pipes anyway.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Beautiful pipes. I have been eyeing the Tankard and Barrel myself.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Bottom pipe is not mine, just a color sample from the restorer. Wouldnt mind it making its way to me though.
Thanks for the info on the green stain 6 & Roth. Had not heard that and will be good to know as it will definitely be my go to pipe.
Also didnt know the smooth was hard to find, sounds like I got luckier than I thought with it being an older thinner stem and smooth. Took me a minute to notice the differences between mine this and current offer.

If nothing else this will be a great addition to my Paddy's day celebration! lol Lets hope its strong enough for a leprechaun tumble. lol

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I agree, I really dont understand why they never produced one in green. Multiple other shapes and styles, but not one of the stereotypical(in my eyes) Irish shapes.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Well got bad news today. Shank snapped off during polishing...

Good news is, pipe is being replaced with something of my choice and will be stained.

broke+pete.jpg

Better pic of the final color.

green+pete.jpg

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Better news! Getting the pipe for a much lower cost and an extra pipe for the mishap. Still smokeable, and now no worries about damaging the pipe during a drunken Paddy's day.
Plus have most of another pipe paid for as credit from the difference in sale price now. Dont have to haggle with the war dept. lol

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Tankard is one my go to pipes. I had the bowl on mine shortened by 1/4inch by my pipe guy as i found the bowl very tall.

Jan 8, 2013
That's too bad, but at least you're still getting a good deal out of it. When I looked at the original photo and saw that you were going to have it stained green, I thought with that grain that pipe would be stunning in green. And I was right. Beautiful pipe even with the shank snapped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.