PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Peterson Pipe of the Year 2006 Smooth
Just rec'd this beauty from smokingpipes.com for $165. I've seen these go for a lot more and I've coveted one of these for quite some time but held off due to the price.
SP rated its condition a 4.9/5 (and fortunately SP's ratings are very accurate). Very lightly smoked and came to me in practically new condition. Passes all the right tests, beautifully drilled, etc.
In a few minutes I plan to light this bad boy up.
pete3.jpg

pete21.jpg

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
That's a beauty, Six! I have many silver-capped Petes, and I love them. Most are House Pipes, but one is a Sandblast POTY 2006 I bought down in New Orleans a couple of months ago. Excellent smokers with a touch of class. I hope you enjoy many smokes with it!
This is what my 2006 looks like:
POTY2006.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks conlejm - quite thrilled with this. And that 2006 POY is impressive! This is my first silver cap (I'm a sucker for silver on a pipe).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that is a show-stopper! For SmokingPipes, a 4.95 rating means someone took it out of the factory box, and it may have been in the vicinity of someone smoking a pipe...!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot everyone - as always, much appreciated. I am enjoying a smoke with it as I write and it smokes beautifully. Wide open draft, very happy with this one!

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Those are very attractive pipes numbersix and conlejm. Does the silver cap get excessively hot when you smoke it?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Hi Numbersix, there is a blog post on A Visual History of Peterson’s Limited Edition / Pipe of the Year: 1997 – 2014, and yours actually looks to be a 2000 model.
Hi Macabra11, they don't seem to get excessively hot, but they do tarnish pretty quickly, probably due to user error. They polish up easy enough, and I imagine it's better than a blackened rim. The silver cap is a nice classy touch in my opinion, but it does add a bit to the cost of the pipe.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Oh wow! Six, congratulations on that pipe. What a beauty of a pipe.
conlejm, that's one awesome looking poker too. I've just recentely stared collecting a few poker shaped pipes and I really enjoy them. Mind you, nothing as fancy looking as that one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pete does pretty pipes, silver or not. I like that heft and sturdiness. Have six.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice looking pipe, Tom. Congrats pal.
Now, that shape seems to be a bit of a divergence from what I'd normally consider a "Six pipe". It's more rubenesque than your Bings, and slim billiards. Is this a decided change in direction, a whimsical indulgence, or an experiment in horizon broadening?
Regardless, nicely done.
-- Pat

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.
Hi Numbersix, there is a blog post on A Visual History of Peterson’s Limited Edition / Pipe of the Year: 1997 – 2014, and yours actually looks to be a 2000 model.
Excellent resource, thanks for sharing. I think you're right. SP.com listed it as a 2006, but at the end of the listing it also stated 2000. This is the exact title of the listing:
Peterson Pipe of the Year 2006 Smooth (345/1000) (2000) (Fishtail)
So I guess you're right! Very good to know.
Now, that shape seems to be a bit of a divergence from what I'd normally consider a "Six pipe". It's more rubenesque than your Bings, and slim billiards. Is this a decided change in direction, a whimsical indulgence, or an experiment in horizon broadening?
Funny you should ask that. I am a Bing/Billiard person for sure. This particular pipe is one that I've just really liked from early on. I like diamond shanks, but not crazy about bulldogs. This combination of a diamond shank and billiard bowl is right up my alley. And the silver is an added bonus, love the silver cap.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, that is freaking gorgeous, I love the silver work on it. Glad to hear it smokes great for you. I have found that those white Mr Clean Magic Erasers clean my silver really quickly and with very little elbow grease. If you have not tried it give it a shot. Congrats on an excellent addition to your collection, smoke it in good health my friend.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot Harris! For me, this pipe hits all the marks. The SP.com description said that it comes with a "generous" amount of silver, and they weren't kidding. Even the band is about twice the thickness (not width) of their usual silver bands.
And I got to say, smokes beautifully. I know Peterson messes up sometimes, but with this one they hit it out of the park.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love buying estate pipes from smokingpipes. When they give a pipe a 4.5 or better you know the pipe is going to be like brand new. Every estate pipe I have bought from them has been as pristine as any estate pipe I have ever bought. I definitely agree that pipe has a good amount of silver, it probably weighs as much as the pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I love buying estate pipes from smokingpipes. When they give a pipe a 4.5 or better you know the pipe is going to be like brand new.
This is so true - it's something you can rely on which says a lot for them.
And thanks for the tip on the magic eraser - didn't know that!

Status
Not open for further replies.