PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
If this was covered in other “estate” threads, I apologize.
I have a question on smoking estate pipes. I just bought a Jirsa estate pipe that looks very clean. Not a lot of cake, and the stem is extremely clean.
I’ve cleaned the stem, shank with bristle cleaners, vodka until the pipe cleaners show no dirt (which didn’t take much) For those who smoke estate pipes, do you always do a deep bowl cleaning as well regardless of how much cake is there?
Thank you in advance, and this site has been so helpful to me.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/cam9/album/picture/22475

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
jirsa-150x84.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is! (It looks like you selected the thumbnail image.) I simply removed the size limitations in the URL, and pasted that in an IMG tag.
jirsa.jpg

A very nice looker! Happy smokes!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, you're gonna want to avoid estate pipes. They're full of germs and if you smoke one you'll probably die.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Yeah, you're gonna want to avoid estate pipes. They're full of germs and if you smoke one you'll probably die.
It's true! It's true! Anyone that smoked a used pipe in 1805 is dead today. Coincidence? I think not.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I knew a guy who knew a guy who smoked an estate pipe from 1918. BAM! Died of the Spanish Flu. True story, I swear.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Look at it like this, do you sterilise your cutlery when you go to a restaurant, despite hundreds of people using them before you. Same with the glass in the bar. I use a medical whipe then smoke away. Half the problems we have today with health is we over protect ourselves. There's more things to worry about than smoking a used pipe.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
Thanks for the replies. FWIW,I'm totally fine with smoking an estate pipe. I was just wondering if it's common to do a deep bowl cleaning if there's a lot of cake.
I did smoke the estate pipe earlier,and feel a touch of the Spanish Flu coming on ;)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A guy my uncle worked with bought an estate Dunhill from the '30s. Came down with a hell of a case of polio. Still has a trace of a limp, they say.
@Oldmansmoking- nope, that's not the way it works. Restaurant cutlery is fine; only pipes harbor old-timey diseases. Do you want scrivener's palsy? 'Cause that's how you get scrivener's palsy.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Writer's cramp, also called mogigraphia and scrivener's palsy, is a disorder caused by cramps or spasms of certain muscles of the hand and/or forearm, and presents itself while performing fine motor tasks, such as writing or playing an instrument.[1][2] Writer's cramp is a task-specific focal dystonia of the hand.[3] 'Focal' refers to the symptoms being limited to one location (the hand in this case), and 'task-specific' means that symptoms first occur only when the individual engages in a particular activity. Writer's cramp first affects an individual by interfering with their ability to write, especially for prolonged periods of time.[2]
Least of my worries with terminal cancer!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Cause that's how you get scrivener's palsy."
Aldecaker, utter piffle. Everyone and his dog knows that scrivener's palsy can only be contracted through using uncleansed estate quills :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I stopped buying new, unsmoked pipes long ago. I only buy estate pipes that have been broken in. I dislike breaking in new briar and I love the old Peterson estate pipes.
Some of the estate pipe sellers do their own deep cleaning which is a huge plus IMO. If not, I do my own cleaning with 120 proof Everclear and I may buff it up a bit.
Personally a cake coating of about an 1/8"-3/16" thick is what I prefer, and anything thicker I scrape it down with my pipe knife. I avoid buying estate pipes with a very thick coating of cake as it's often hard to tell if the bowl chamber is cracked,full of pot holes or has some other type of hidden damage. And thick cake makes it hard to tell if the bowl chamber was half-assed repaired with cake mud or some other filler ( JB Weld, some glass polymer mix, etc). I'm also cautious of the stem conditon ( bit to shit, cracked or tenon damage)
If I were you, I'd pack that gal and fire it up. Enjoy, nice pipe for sure. IMO, there's nothing beter than a good old estate pie. And the prices are nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.