PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Hey folks, I was trying GL Pease Gaslight for the first time the other day, and though I found it delicious, it made me rather light-headed. I see that most reviews seem to qualify it as medium to medium-strong. But having never experienced this before (from pipe tobacco) and with no other quantifiable variations (time of day, hunger level, duration of the bowl, etc.), I'm thinking high nicotine. Anyone else have this experience?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Personally I find it about the middle of the road. I personally think it's the deep flavor it has that causes it feel like a stronger nic hit. How many other tobaccos do you smoke in that strength range?

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Not sure, churchwarden -- I'm generally smoking PS 17, PS 306, Plum Pudding, C&D London Squire, F&T 34th, that sort of thing. Do those all fall within a certain strength range?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gaslight stokes my fires for taste, but has K-Oed me more than once. I am guessing it may be red VA's in it that smacks me in the head and stomach.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I didnt really notice it I think my cig smoking spoiled me to nic I havent found anything so far that i can say ive noticed nic in other than just quenching my cravings. I enjoyed the blend though.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I don't think Gaslight has much nicotine. I'm generally not effected by nicotine, but having smoked many bowls of Gaslight I'd say medium at very most.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't think you're too far off with some of those others. Maybe it's the fact that it is a plug cut. I can only imagine that whether intended or not, a pressed plug would be mighty susceptible to some fermentation going on inside. This could potentially be the culprit, unless I'm wrong, just a theory. I've gotten a hold of some cans of dip that were old and almost seemed fermented before. Once I took a pinch I got lightheaded like I did in the early days. I finished the can, just cause, why not? It was fun.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Interesting theory, churchwarden -- I hadn't thought of the fact that it's the only plug I've smoked.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I am a big craft beer drinker. I absolutely love porters and stouts. The first time I tried a Russian Imperial Stout it damn near got me drunk off 1 bottle. They're both beers and both stouts, but the alcohol content is higher in a RIS than a regular stout. I've always felt like the stronger, deeper, and darker the taste, the stronger the beer is. I feel like that's true with most tobaccos I smoke. The heartier, deeper tobacco seems to deliver a stronger nic hit than lighter tobaccos. Of course, this is not always true as I do know of some lighter tobaccos that can still make your head spin. It's more of a generality I think. At least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.