PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Hi I'm new to the forums. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for about 5 years. When I first started I heard that you should stick to one kind of tobacco so I tried a few and liked 1q the best and have stuck to that and never branched out. I've recently moved and don't like my new B&M so I started poking around on the web for pipe info. I am blown away by all the great info, you tube videos, review sites and forums. It has made pipe smoking a lot more enjoyable. Now I've decided to give tinned tobacco a try which I never knew existed until a few weeks ago. I puchased some Peterson's Irish Flake and some Balkan Sobaranie. I love the Balkan altough I can't seem to find anymore of it, The irish is good (I love the flake form and the smell). However, the nic is way too high for me. Anyone care to reccommend any tobaccos to try that are low in N but not aromatics like the 1q (I can't really smoke it anymore now that I've tried the other tobaccos.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.
Dunno why anyone advised you to stick to one tobacco - that's no fun!
If you like the new Balkan Sobranie - which I have not tried - you might also enjoy blends like H&H Larry's Blend, Balkan Sasieni - which I used to smoke a ton of,but have not in a while - or McClelland's Blue Mountain.

Yeah, Irish Flake is a nic monster. Maybe try S Gawaith Best Brown Flake.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Might wanna give Peterson's University Flake a go. They say it has a plum note to it but, honestly it's barely detectable in the smoke and it has a lot less nicotine hit than Irish Flake.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the reccommendations. I loved the flavor of the irish flake. But I loaded a small bowl and only smoked half of it. When I came back to it, it was even better tasting. If I smoked the whole thing it was just too much nic. Any other low nic Virginias?

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I think the person who told me to only smoke one tobacco was referring to the ghosting from the 1q. I tried a few bulk blends about 5 years ago and still liked the 1q the best so I've just stuck to that blend. I recently got a new pipe so I was looking for something else to smoke and try out. Thats when I stumbled upon these forums.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. Flakes are my favorites and I smoke many different ones. Here are a few of my favorites that are readily available.

Virginia Flakes

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Solani Silver Flake
Virginia/Periquue flakes

Escudo

Solani 633

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
If you liked the Balkan Sobranie, I'd recommend Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Hearth & Home's Black House.
X2 Agreed :puffy:

That Irish Flake can really kick your ass if you are not prepared for it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I just read your review of Solani Silver Flake at TR, well done sir. I thought it described the blend very well. As you know I am about as sensitive to Red Virginia's as anyone but there must not be very much in this because I have never been bitten by it. I have been smoking this one a lot lately and am really loving it. I believe it is very worthy of it's 4 star status. Have you tried their 633 Vaper, it is another of my favorites and the 50 gram tins come vacuumed sealed.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am currently enjoying McClelland's Frog Morton On the Town. Not a Balkan blend but it is a nice smooth smoke.

I also really enjoy Luxury Navy Flake too, a nice virginia flake.

Black House is a good balkanish blend that I have tried and liked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.