Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

New to Forums....New Tobacco Reccommendation

(13 posts)
  1. trucha

trucha

Login to Send PM

Hi I'm new to the forums. I've been smoking a pipe off and on for about 5 years. When I first started I heard that you should stick to one kind of tobacco so I tried a few and liked 1q the best and have stuck to that and never branched out. I've recently moved and don't like my new B&M so I started poking around on the web for pipe info. I am blown away by all the great info, you tube videos, review sites and forums. It has made pipe smoking a lot more enjoyable. Now I've decided to give tinned tobacco a try which I never knew existed until a few weeks ago. I puchased some Peterson's Irish Flake and some Balkan Sobaranie. I love the Balkan altough I can't seem to find anymore of it, The irish is good (I love the flake form and the smell). However, the nic is way too high for me. Anyone care to reccommend any tobaccos to try that are low in N but not aromatics like the 1q (I can't really smoke it anymore now that I've tried the other tobaccos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hello and welcome Trucha!

If you liked the Balkan Sobranie, I'd recommend Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Hearth & Home's Black House. Both are better IMHO, and a good deal easier to find. Both are available in tins and bulk.

http://pipesandcigars.com/blpito.html

http://pipesandcigars.com/dunibutobytg.html#.UQRKeb_LcxE

http://pipesandcigars.com/blpito.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard.

Dunno why anyone advised you to stick to one tobacco - that's no fun!

If you like the new Balkan Sobranie - which I have not tried - you might also enjoy blends like H&H Larry's Blend, Balkan Sasieni - which I used to smoke a ton of,but have not in a while - or McClelland's Blue Mountain.
    Yeah, Irish Flake is a nic monster. Maybe try S Gawaith Best Brown Flake.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might wanna give Peterson's University Flake a go. They say it has a plum note to it but, honestly it's barely detectable in the smoke and it has a lot less nicotine hit than Irish Flake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Our fellow pipeinhands has an excellent assortment of tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. trucha

trucha

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reccommendations. I loved the flavor of the irish flake. But I loaded a small bowl and only smoked half of it. When I came back to it, it was even better tasting. If I smoked the whole thing it was just too much nic. Any other low nic Virginias?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. trucha

trucha

Login to Send PM

I think the person who told me to only smoke one tobacco was referring to the ghosting from the 1q. I tried a few bulk blends about 5 years ago and still liked the 1q the best so I've just stuck to that blend. I recently got a new pipe so I was looking for something else to smoke and try out. Thats when I stumbled upon these forums.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the site. Flakes are my favorites and I smoke many different ones. Here are a few of my favorites that are readily available.
    Virginia Flakes
    Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
    Solani Silver Flake

Virginia/Periquue flakes
    Escudo
    Solani 633

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I think the person who told me to only smoke one tobacco was referring to the ghosting from the 1Q.

While it's certainly true that certain tobacco blends, including some aromatics, can "ghost" a pipe, I've personally smoked many ounces of Lane's 1Q and have not had any ghosting issues. Sure, in smoking a bowlful of an aromatic, followed up with something else, we may detect some lingering flavors from the previous smoke, but with many, including 1Q, this goes away before half the second bowl is finished.

I was looking for something else to smoke and try out.

I's like to second Harris' suggestion of the Solani Silver Flake. It's smooth, tart, yet creamy and quite mild but very flavorful. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. I did a review of it here and on http://www.tobaccoreviews.com

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

If you liked the Balkan Sobranie, I'd recommend Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Hearth & Home's Black House.

X2 Agreed
    That Irish Flake can really kick your ass if you are not prepared for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, I just read your review of Solani Silver Flake at TR, well done sir. I thought it described the blend very well. As you know I am about as sensitive to Red Virginia's as anyone but there must not be very much in this because I have never been bitten by it. I have been smoking this one a lot lately and am really loving it. I believe it is very worthy of it's 4 star status. Have you tried their 633 Vaper, it is another of my favorites and the 50 gram tins come vacuumed sealed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Harris. I enjoyed the Silver Flake very much and while pricey, it delivers in spades and I think anyone new to virginias couldn't do much better.

No, I haven't tried the #633 Va/Per. While I enjoy a number of them, I'm a bit leery of Va/Pers as a little Perique goes a long way for me and given the price, I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am currently enjoying McClelland's Frog Morton On the Town. Not a Balkan blend but it is a nice smooth smoke.
    I also really enjoy Luxury Navy Flake too, a nice virginia flake.
    Black House is a good balkanish blend that I have tried and liked too.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   xrundog, darwin, mso489, warren, tennsmoker, pitchfork, mrjerke, prndl, mikestanley, jpberg, frank13, daimyo, teufelhund, fishfly, tobyducote, coalsmoke, tanless1, tuold, graydawn, bulldogbriar89, saint007