PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2018
Hello, my name is Philip and I live in Central Texas. I recently started smoking a pipe, 6 months ago, and I can say that I thoroughly enjoy it. I have a fairly good tobacco shop in my town called Don's humidor. However, they sell no pre-packed pipe tobacco. Everything is in jars with a description and their own name for it. After trying several different types I have come to the conclusion that hands down my favorite is burley type tobacco. My question for you guys is what is a good tin or packaged Burley to buy for a beginner like myself? I smoke about an ounce a week of Don humidor's Burley light. With such an enormous selection online, I find it difficult to narrow it down and choose one. Any info is appreciated.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Welcome to this forum and collection of pipe and tobacco geniuses. Sit back, and wait for the answers. They'll come, for sure. I wonder if you are smoking Lane Ltd "Burley Light Without the Bite" = BL/WB
Wish I could help you, but I can't. Will just a "hello" due for now?
Frank

NYC
BTW...If you go onto the "Tobacco Reviews" site and search for Burley blends, you'll get some ideas.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
to name a few basic burley forward blends at reasonable price and quality: Amphora Brown original and Golden Extra By Mc Barens, yet since you're in America, perhaps Carter Hall and Lame Limited would do nicely,these are even more affordable priced.Best Greets to TX, Paul

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Hello and welcome to the forums. I will throw one in the mix...I absolutely love Perette Blend 333. Go to https://www.ljperetti.com/ They have some incredible blends but for me the 333 is my favorite burley blend. You can order just an ounce if you want just to try it out and they have plenty of other great blends as well.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Cornell & Diehl have some the best burley blends, in my opinion. They also have a very wide variety of blends, so I suggest you look them over at tobaccoreviews.com. They are also usually available so you can easily stock up on some tins.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
My vote goes to Mac Baren Golden Extra.
A wonderful, nutty burley that smokes well right out of the tin and gets better with a little bit of drying. The broken flake packs and burns well, the room note is pleasant and its very reasonably priced.
I find that if you smoke it slowly the nutty flavour comes through in buckets and it won't bite.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
On my journey through Burleys I tried a lot of different blends, but these were all winners to my taste buds.

Amphora Original (Brown), Full Aroma(Red)

Mac Baren Golden Extra, Symphony

Peterson's University Flake

Wessex Burley Slice

Carter Hall

C&D Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, Three Friars

G.L. Pease Barbary Coast

Granger

Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut, Toasted Burley

Sir Walter Raleigh Original, Aromatic

Lane Ready Rubbed

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, Phillip.
I'm in Austin. If you're not too far, Pipe World on Anderson Lane is a good spot to visit.
We just lost another good spot. Heroes & Legacies shut down at the beginning of the year.
You'll likely get lots of recommendations for Cornell & Diehl blends, as they seem to be the "burley masters" these days.
If you're a tightwad like me, you might look into a pound of Daughter's & Ryan's Cockstrong. Online it can be had for under $25 a pound. You can also buy an ounce or two from P&C to see if you like it first. Their stuff is "plainer" and dryer than most, so you'll need to "retrain" your packing and cadence to adjust to it.
C&D Virginia Gentleman is a nice, calm VA/Burley that I've been enjoying. Winchester adds a bit of a nice cavendish to the mix. Both can be bought by the ounce on P&C, also.
Maybe get an ounce or two of half a dozen different burly blends to play with. Then, report back with your results, as we all live vicariously through each others' exploits.
Welcome to the forum. PM me if you can't find anyone else to have a pipe and beer/coffee with. :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Hi Phillip and Welcome.
Burleys and Va-Bur blends are what I most enjoy.
Here's some blends that I enjoy:
Solani Silver Flake and Aged Burley Flake

GL PEASE Jack Knife Plug

Peterson's Irish Flake & 3P's

Mac Baren ODF and Bold Kentucky

CD OJK (original)/ Burley Flake 1 & 3

Wessex Burley Slice

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recommend new pipe smokers sample small quantities as they develop their tastes, buying a pouch, an ounce or two, or one tin. Save anything you store for a while in a jar, and keep anything you don't like for a year or two, since it might taste better to you later as your taste evolves. A few homespun burley blends are Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular or Aromatic. Also shop online for Cornell & Diehl bulk burley blends. Some well-known favorites are Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Old Joe Krantz original or added varieties, and Dark Burley. Some good burley aromatics include Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and Edward G. Robinson. And so on. Most online retailers list strength, constituent tobaccos, room note, and genre of blend. Take your time, and enjoy your sampling. You're lucky to like burley. Some can't taste it much, some don't like, but those who like it (like me) really do. Welcome aboard.

Feb 17, 2018
Thank you for all of the great recommendations and information. I'm really enjoying this Hobby and my wife loves the aroma. Jaytex, I have a contact in Austin that I visit with about once a month and since I'm down there on a regular basis, I will definitely stop in and check it out. Thanks again for all this incredible helpfulness

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Inexpensive bulk burleys abound and they're excellent.

I don't consider any of the name brand 'codger' blends to be inexpensive. I do consider them essential to understanding the pipe smoking phenomenon.

My next bag will likely be D&R Rowland. I've enjoyed all the D&R blends I've smoked, including Rowland, which I had a sample of not long ago. I'd compare it to a codger blended burley in that it has a mild flavor topping.

C&D does have some nice burley too. I really like Big 'n Burley.

PS 702 is not a bad bulk alternative either.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
C&D Burley flake #1 I just opened a tin of this for the first time and wow it's good. I intended to cellar this one but couldn't resist, so I bought 2 more for the cellar!

Status
Not open for further replies.