PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd13

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
Prince George, BC
Good evening, New to the site but have been enjoying some of the posts for a while. Question for the group; missing my Balkan Blue and trying desperately to find a replacement. I have a few tins of HH Vintage Syrian, and was thinking of blending with some Frog Morton or something similar. Am I crazy??? Any have a recipe for something similar to BB?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Welcome aboard! I have one tin of Balkan Blue left and I’m saving it to open in Chicago next year. Sadly, there aren’t any close matches. But many other good blends out there still.

bvlaurence

Lurker
Dec 5, 2018
Greetings! New member here.

I am interested in GBD pipes....a New Standard was the first pipe I ever owned
I have a specific question about one in my collection. I would appreciate info on where best to post such a question
Thanks in advance
JL

bvlaurence

Lurker
Dec 5, 2018
I enjoy a Kramer blend called Father Dempsey which I would call an Oriental forward, Balkan/English blend.

Have you tried it todd13?

todd13

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
Prince George, BC
bvlaurence,...I have taken a look at Kramer's Father Dempsey but have not tried it. As I am located north of the boarder, ordering tobacco from the US can be very pricy when all is said and done. As a result, I try to source product here in Canada first; it is on my list however!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. You might just consider other blends based on the similarity of their constituent tobaccos, and then perhaps correct them with considered amounts of condimental leaf.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome, from Texas. Sadly, in my opinion, there are no real close matches to Balkan Blue. It seems it is in a class all it's own. It used to be one of my go to blends, but now I only smoke it on occasion. Luckily there are plenty of other great Balkan and English blends out there. Hearth & Home Black House is a fantastic blend. I wouldn't use up your Frog Morton to blend with something else to try and match it. Like Balkan Blue, once your stash of Frog is gone, it's gone for good.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome & a huge howdy from Piedmont SC, Todd! Ask away! As noted above the British section of Pipe Talk would be a good start!
Bill

todd13

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
Prince George, BC
Thanks everyone, you are all a very welcoming group. I will continue my quest to find the BB replacement by trying all the Balkan/English varieties I can get my hands on here in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.