PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Hello my name is Shane and I'm new to this forum. I have been. Collecting pipes since I was 18 and still find myself looking for deals on good pipes. I enjoy aromatic tobaccos if anyone has any suggestions for that I'd appreciate. I did however try JM Boswells aromatic package and it was solid. I just started recently getting more into English tobaccos and trying new things. I have noticed more bold English blends will have a higher nic hit but I want something that will be an all day enjoyment. So that being said if anyone has suggestions I am open to trying anything new.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Welcome, Shane. You may want to give Hearth & Home's, "House of Lords," or their, "Black House," a try. Both of them are solid, all-day smokes, without a noticeable nicotine hit.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Welcome welcome welcome! I was very much in your shoes, new to English, in the recent past. Frog Morton on the Bayou was recommended to me and it was my first "Non-Aro" I experience. It still is one of my top three to smoke. Great flavor but also very smooth. The three different tins I have burned through have all been ready to smoke cool. Happy hunting....
003-041-0015.jpg

j/B

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Welcome to the forum, pally. I've been hanging out here for several years now and there's rarely a day goes by I don't pick up something new.
If you like aromatics and also enjoy some of the Englishes, why don't you fire up a bowl of any one of the Frog Morton blends and Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader or Skiff. They're known as crossover blends, bridging the void between aros & stouter English smokes, and more than a few of us have gone down that path.
Just be careful you don't over-buy when you find something you like. The journey is the reward here and what tastes spectacular today can be outpaced, if not lapped, by another blend several months later.
Welcome!
Fnord

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for the info I have heard a lot of great things about the frog Morton and also fnord good call on overbuy. I'm pretty excited any good places to buy I know pipes and cigars has a great selection and tobacco pipes as well.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Shane,

I've been giving a great deal of thought to what've said and have come to a few conclusions which I'd like to share. First of all, these "conclussions" I've come to aren't so much conclussions as they are the end of a train of thought in which I've drawn certain inferences. Secondly, who says "inferences" in a pipe forum? Look, if you're going to spend any amount of time here and actually have it be "time well spent" vs "a colossal waste of life's most valuable resource" there are a few things you must not only understand, but appreciate. When I first began frequenting these forums, it was equal parts curiosity and time suck. I needed a hobby that wouldn't only be unhealthy in the conventional sense, but unhealthy all the way around. Okay... What was I saying... Ah yes things you should know.... First of all, ignore me. If you've actually read this far I'm concerned for you. Ignore everything I've said. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it :wink:

Welcome.

N8

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What's wrong with "inferences" in a pipe forum? I write and talk like that all the time!

Shane, welcome to the asylum. As for aromatics, try Sutliff's Private Stock; they have the all-time winners in the aromatic tobacco sweepstakes, such as Molto Dolce (when you open the tin, you're not sure whether to smoke it or eat it), Mountain Pass, many others. PM has an ad for them on the opening page: click on it and it will give you a "test" as to what tobacco you should try, and for some reason the result is always Molto Dolce. I don't even want to think about how many tins I've smoked of this particular blend, and I'm sure many will agree this is the among the sweetest aromatics available.

Watch out for iamn8. He's a baaaad influence. :twisted:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Inferences? That's what you gleaned from my lil time waste / welcome? bad influence?! for the record, anything that doesn't kill you makes you stranger. :puffy:

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I don't think reading anything is a waste of time as long as you have a pipe and some good tobacco to puff on.. Just saying iamn8

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Awww come on?! If we can't agree that what I wrote was a waste of time and that the sky is blue, what basis then do we have for a common ground?!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
welcome aboard. I agree with the frog morton blends. If you are starting to get into the English world, you can't go wrong with any of the Frog Morton's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome, Shane. Glad to have you on Forums. It sounds like you belong here for sure. As you participate,

you'll get a world of suggestions, reviews, comments, complaints, tributes, etc., on an unending series of

tobaccos and blends. So many good ones, depending on your tastes. I like to take it slow. If I jumped on

every recommendation, I'd have vastly more tobacco than I smoke. Do you like non-aromatic burley? Have

you tried any non-aromatic burley blends? Anyway, welcome.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yes mso 489 I do have a 2oz jar of Cornell and diehls haunted bookshop it's not a bad smoke and has a good nicotine hit. I smoke that usually after work. I mainly smoke aromatics when around other people and since most aros are mild I can smoke them more consecutively. The other side with things that have a big hit I'm totally relaxing on my couch and taken it nice and slow. Hence I need to find more blends to relax and take it nice and slow with.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Well iamn8 I thinking pipe tobacco smoking would be common ground? I did see that dunhill you are selling on eBay very nice sir. I have actually never owned a dunhill before.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nice to meet you, Shane. We're a pretty fiendly friendly bunch, with the exception of...nah, you'll find out about him soon enough.
Got questions? Ask away. I gain most of my knowledge from reading the newbie pipe smoker threads, where the new folks aren't afraid of looking silly asking the questions that the old timers have been wondering about for years.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hey Shane,

welcome. I am fairly new here myself, but the short time that I've been here I have learned a heck of a lot from these fine folks. I am sure you will discover a lot and enjoy your time with this forum.

You probably know about it, but this is a good resource, too, for scoping out new tobaccos:

Tobacco Reviews
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.