PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I started a new tamper tonight. This one is black walnut and will be capped off with a .44 Magnum brass shell casing. Walnut is a great wood to turn. While considered a hard wood it is softer than oak or hard maple and for that reason it machines wonderfully. The grain is even textured without hard and soft areas between rings and the spindle looks like chocolate when spinning in the lathe. I'm enjoying this one.
001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

005-5.jpg

I grind a slight convex shape onto the cutting surface of my skew chisel. When presented to the wood to carefully smooth off straight edges a worm of fine wood dust will build up right in the center of the tool width... If I'm holding the chisel at the perfect angle. Once my edge is dead center I slowly push or pull the tool along the rest working a very smooth and continuous cylindrical surface into the spinning wood. If Handled well the skew chisel will form a surface requiring only a minimum of finish sanding.
004-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

I've prepped the casing by cutting off the excess length and cleaning out the inside of the base with a bristle brush in the Dremel. Originating from an old school design the .44 Magnum is a rimmed cartridge. The huge rim measures a whopping .500" across. There is an interesting feature that I think makes the .44 mag shell a great tamper tip. Because the rim extends out beyond the case wall it creates a slight shaving edge that could be gently drug up the bowl's internal walls during smoking to dislodge unburnt tobacco and help maintain a smooth cake surface. (Don't know this from experience but it sounds good. :idea:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hobie walnut is good for lots of things and you're right as part of a custom cabinet I think it will look great.
@lankfordjl: Yes I agree. For me it's relaxing almost therapeutic but at the same time once I get started on a project it drives me nuts not to see it through to the end. Learning to take your time is the name of the game. I'm sure other craftsmen know what I'm talking about and that makes it exciting to share the pictures online before the piece is even done.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My father got a bunch of walnut for free and just picked them up from the saw mill a few days ago. It's gorgeous wood. I can't wait to work with it in about a year.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Bentmike, I also love walnut. The best area for turning is the crotch area below a fork in the tree. The grains becomes really tight and looks amazing. This apply to any wood, but walnut shows it especially well.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.