PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
purchased a pipe in a lot off ebay a while back that was a large Schoenleber pipe. This is definitely one of the largest pipes I have owned. Unfortunately, the stem fit too tight and was not aligned properly and it broke when I was trying to get it out of the pipe. No harm was done to the pipe itself but the stem is not repairable. I was left with a dilemma as I only paid about $7 for the pipe so I did not want to send off for a $20 repair. So I have been looking around to purchase a new stem for it. This is when I stumbled up on this lot on ebay that had 17 new and unused, unfitted stems of various lengths and sizes. I won the lot for $18.50 shipped. I was wondering if this is a good deal for these stems? I hope that I made a wise choice and I can figure out how to fit it to the pipe. I am fairly good with small projects such as this so I am fairly confident in my abilities and I know I have the guys of this forum and several others here to help me on the way. Worst case I can have a local pipe maker do it that I recently heard of through a friend at a local B&M.
Link is here.
(This is the third time I have tried to post this but it keeps not showing up?? Any clue as to what is happening?)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey W,
I could use something like that myself, considering that I'm a muncher.

But, I have been making a conscious effort to not bite through my stems.
I think you did alright, Mr. Allbright... :)

If they don't fit exactly, I think that a simple search in the forums or a question or two can guide you to a "custom" fit for you. (Even bending them.)
Edit: I sent you a PM.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
If one is a close fit, you did fine. In the future though, Dr Dave with Walker Briar Works can make you a stem for your pipe for about that same price. He works magic too.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I appreciate the helpful tip and that is why I was willing to spend close to $20 for 17 is the hopes that I can use more than one. I know that alot of the pipe repair guys charge about $20 for a new stem and to fit it. I have a couple of pipes that could use a new stem and I am sure I will have plenty more in the future. I just hope I made the right choice this time. If not then I suppose I can re-up them and hopefully get my moneys back as it seems the other ones went for more than my lot did. I also have a few friends that know a local guy that could probably help me out. I hope that one way or the other I am able to resolve the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.