PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
How difficult/expensive is it to get a new stem for a estate pipe that does not come with one? Say if the original maker is still in business can you just buy a new one and put it on or does it require fitting like turning a tenon on a lather?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Walker Briar and Night Owl Pipeworks can make you a stem for your pipe. Check out their site for fees. A couple of years ago I bought a Barling Quaint that had a bad replacement stem on it. I sent the pipe to Ronnie B. at Night Owl for a replacement. If I remember correctly, it ran abut $100 for the handmade stem and a restoration. For me it was worth it as the pipe is valuable and the result was really stunning.

If the pipe in question is an inexpensive piece, it may not pay to have a stem made. But if you like the pipe, then the cost may be a more secondary factor.

Other members may have other suggestions as regards a repair service to supply a stem.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Say if the original maker is still in business can you just buy a new one and put it on or does it require fitting like turning a tenon on a lather?

Yes,they require fitting and sanding/buffing to remove casting flash etc, if you use the pre-molded stems.

Some bowls would be worth the cost of a custom made stem,a lot of them would not.

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
Thanks guys. I was looking at some 2 for $0.99 pipes but considering that they are nothing really special I am better off just finding something with a stem and letting someone with the tools to make new ones fix those up.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Pimo offers a wide selection of stems. Get one that's close and adjust to fit.
PME looks like another good source.
I don't work for 'em, and have never ordered from them, but plan to before long.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Stems are just tough to make. If all you want is a stem on pipe that works then $20-$30 is reasonable. If you want one from the original pipe carver you will be lucky to get one for less than a $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.