PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolltide9

Lurker
May 11, 2015
Folks,
I am brand new (I joined the site 5 minutes ago) to this community and I am a complete amateur pipe smoker. I have been smoking pipes since February and the only pipe I own is a cheap little Missouri Meerschaum Cherry Cob. I am looking to upgrade soon but I'm a college student on a tight budget who would like to get the best smoke for around $50. I have smoked out of a Peterson Standard System before and loved how smooth the smoke was, but I can't afford one of my own right now. Any suggestions on awesome pipes for around $50?
Also, I haven't smoked much of a variety of tobaccos. I have smoked 1Q, Black Cavendish, and some cheap aromatics but I am looking to get into some better tobaccos, specifically non-aromatics. What do y'all suggest?
I absolutely love smoking pipe tobacco but I can't seem to keep my smoke cool. How can I fix this?
Thank you for y'all's time and I am excited to become a part of this community.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1 Welcome!

2 Try a Rossi pipe

3 Carter Hall is a good introduction to non aros

4 Cool smoke? Pack looser and slow down.

5 Enjoy!

rolltide9

Lurker
May 11, 2015
Thank you for your advice! I have always had a hard time slowing down when I smoke. I smoked cigars (still do on occasion) prior to pipes and always smoked my sticks way too fast. I have some Orlik Golden Sliced on the way thanks to a friend and am interested in trying it out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. Packing too loosely can lead to a hot smoking pipe with a loss of flavor. Most new comers pack too lose. When checking your draw you want to feel some resistance. You also may need to dry out your tobacco some as many aromatics are too humid.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
rolltide9, Welcome to the hobby and Pipes Magazine. Is your first pipe this one: http://corncobpipe.com/ozark-mountain-hardwood-pipe.html ? If so, I would recommend that you make your next pipe a natural finish Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe. The Eaton and Missouri Pride are great pipes for a beginner. Take the money you saved by buying cobs and put it into some decent non-aromatic tobaccos. Among the tobaccos I would recommend to a beginner, the top spot is reserved for Carter Hall. Yes, it is one of those drug store, old codger blends, but is a great introduction to non-aromatic pipe tobacco. Heck, it is a great introduction to pipe tobacco in general. As for smoking cool, there are lots of factors involved. For starters, make sure your tobacco is not too moist. Overly moist tobacco will have you puffing too hard and really heating your pipe and your smoke. You may also simply be smoking too fast. If that is the case, slowing your smoking and taking "sips" rather than "puffs" might be all the fix you need.
Again, welcome!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
chasingembers, Sorry to duplicate some of your advice. I must have been typing while you posted.

rolltide9

Lurker
May 11, 2015
Thanks folks! I'm excited to start trying some new stuff. I love my cob but I want to branch out with some other pipes. I will certainly look into y'all's suggestions and will also look into Carter Hall. As I read this, I'm smoking a cheap aromatic that I didn't let dry at all and it's burning the crap out of my hand and mouth. It also doesn't taste super great. So far my favorite tobacco is black cavendish, which unfortunately I'm out of.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
rolltide,
Welcome to the forum. Half & Half is a great blend as well if you like Burleys. Lately, I've been enjoying Sutliff 1849 which is a Virginia blend with some Perique added but not too heavy. As for as pipes, I'm somewhat partial to cobs since I make them but I also enjoy a good clay or briar from time to time. Every once in a while you can find a good deal on an unsmoked estate pipe on Ebay for under $50. I've picked up a vintage Kaywoodie Prince of Wales on Ebay last year as well as a vintage Wally Frank "Chadwick" that have both proven to be great little smokers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might be generating too much heat because you're puffing too hard, perhaps because the tobacco you've chosen isn't delivering enough flavor. Try some stronger, more full bodied blends to see if that's the problem. Peterson Irish Flake, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, G.L.Pease Triple Play or Cumberland.

rolltide9

Lurker
May 11, 2015
Thank you! I have been intrigued by Half & Half as well. Great options here. This may be a dumb question but I have read that cobs "go bad" after a while. How exactly do they "go bad" (is it the stem, bowl, both) and how can I tell when my cob goes bad?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hi rolltide ... welcome to the forum!
Any pipe, not just Cobs, can "go bad" if not properly cared for.
In general, you want to use a couple of pipe cleaners after each smoke and let the pipe rest for a day.
Cobs are quite resilient and, if cared for, can last decades.
Lastly, it sounds as though you have a "hardwood" pipe and not a cob ... the cobs are MUCH better.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Welcome. Pack your pipe loosely, let the tobacco rest and dry before you light, and sip slowly. When you are ready to move to a briar, there are many good choices. Make sure you look at the Brushed Black and Brown lines from Stanwell sold by Pipes and Cigars. Very good bang for the buck pipes.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If you liked smoking a Peterson, Dr Grabow makes a knockoff version called Omega for $30. I have one and love it.
ZkFhB44m.jpg

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/73705/dr-grabow-omega-pipes/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Recently a favored fifty dollar pipe on Forums has been the brushed black and brushed brown Stanwell (an excellent well-known brand) offered at pipesandcigars.com for $49.99. If you buy one, be sure to notice if the one you select is filtered or not. For a starter pipe, I recommend a non-filter pipe, just to start with the basic item, and get a truer experience on blends. Another excellent choice at $50, at P&C, would be an unfinished Savenelli. These look a little like raw lumber, but soon color nicely through smoking, and are another first-rate brand. Either of these pipes, with care, will likely last the rest of your life, and only get better. Welcome aboard. I am a sort of resident expert on quality lower-priced pipes on Forums, if I do say so myself, but I will leave it at those two recommendations.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Welcome, rolltide.
I assume from your member name that you are from Alabama as well.
I'm so new that I hesitate to give any advise, but I've struggled with hot pipe and tongue burn issues, myself. I am (slowly) getting the hang of it, so I'm gonna give advise anyway!
I love the Missouri Meerschaum pipes, because the nice, open draw lets me really feel what's going on with the tobacco. Experiment! You've already been told that it'll burn hot if you pack it too tight OR too loose. That frustrates the crap out of me, because either extreme is wrong, but there's no clear definition of "just right." I packed mine tighter than I thought was right, looser than I thought was right, back and forth. For me, the "sweet spot" seems to be when the draw is about like a cigarette, or just a little less. If I feel no resistance, it's gonna get hot, quick!
Unfortunately, that seems to vary with different types of tobacco, AND different smoking styles. At one point I was considering offering money to forum members to drive out to my house and pack my pipe for me. I might have been better off asking them to just go ahead and smoke it for me, too.
The "slow down" advice I can't repeat enough. A problem I had was obsessing over keeping the pipe lit. If it went out, I felt like I'd failed in some way, so I was always smoking too fast. There's a very thin line between "pipe went out" and "Crap, that burns!"
Once I became OK with letting it go out, I was able to relax more and slow down.
Lastly, this may be just me, as I've never read about anyone else mentioning this but, since I still tend to smoke too hot, when the pipe does go out, I like to let it cool completely before I re-light. It seems that I get a lot of hot, acrid steaminess if I re-light an already hot pipe.
Anyway, welcome! I just had an after lunch smoke of Lane BCA. It was cool and dry. I really tasted all the flavor, didn't get the least bit of tongue bite. I've struggled with learning how to smoke but, when it comes together, the rewards are surely worth the learning curve.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Welcome! We love new folks.
1. Check out affordable pipes from Savinelli and Rossi. They are fine pipes if you can find a sale or one that works. Also, Brigham pipes are good things that should have some affordable lines. There's nothing wrong with your cobs- I smoke them sometimes.
2. A lot of people enjoy tobaccos from the Frog Morton series by McClelland.

3. As far as a hot smoke....I'd bet my leg that you're just smoking waaaaay too fast and drawing on the pipe way to hard. By far the most common experience for a new smoker. Slow down. Think of smoking a pipe as sipping, not take big gulps. Don't try to produce tons of smoke...its satisfying as hell but it means you're going way too fast. Its okay if you are relighting a lot, you'll get better. Just smoke slow and easy. Little sips, little sips.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
First I'd like to give you a warm welcome to our tiny smokey world. I'd like to give you some good advice such as others have given you thus far, but instead a couple of things. First of all, the hard truth is that the only pipes worth smoking start at around $1500. Next thing you should know is that the only tobacco worth smoking, for the most part isn't for sale anywhere at any price. Even if you manage to locate any of it, expect to pay upwards of $75/ounce for average tobacco and on upwards from there. I'd like to offer more "advice", but my valet has pulled the Ferrari around.

Caio,

Nate
ps. I'm actually poor and drive a Volvo, but make believe is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.