PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hi everyone, this is my first post, up until now I've been just lurking around the site and reading and learning from different sources on the net and reading up on history, styles, smoking do's and do not's. Well I guess I'll start with my first few pipes I picked up at antique store's some old 50's 60's Dr. Grabow's and a really great Kaywoodie cool sip. I picked up some Carter Hall and Prince Albert locally, liked the Carter Hall burned great in my antique store finds nice for mowing the lawn.

My first pipe however was a no name MT by AT ???? pipe that I got ripped for at my tobacco shop :). That pipe was paramount in my introduction to tongue bite and the fact that all pipes are not created equal, nor do they smoke equal. While enduring the constant tongue bite of some aromatics/burly's and my own puffing to hard to keep the burn going I found out about packing and how my pipes reacted to the actual tobacco packing in each of the different pipes not to mention sipping as opposed to puffing or doing heavy hauls off the pipe.

So suffering through not being able to drink fizzy drinks my first week of smoking a pipe :oops: things started getting better, and I found a more and more relaxing experience. There is hope! :puffy:. So fast forward about a week of researching experimenting and the such and I found myself burning through entire bowls without any issues.

Today was a exciting day for me because I just received my first "decent" pipe in the mail. Not to say the others were not good, I just did not know the difference. My Erik Nording partially rusticated pipe showed up along with some Frog Morton, Frog Morton Cellar, Three Nuns, and some trial stuff. :P. So I popped open the Three Nuns and fired it up... meh not amazing, it was good but not knock your socks off. So while letting my EN cool down I broke out my Meerschaum... which let me tell you is old, not the nicest to look at, but smokes cool, and beautiful with almost anything you stick in it and popped in some Frog Morton which I thought smelled like Fox and Hound which I can't stand. So I was kinda put off, but dang was it a totally different experience, beautifully soft and blended nicely on my tongue, smelled nice blowing out my nose and tasted great sipping. Well I took a break and came back awhile later and cannon balled (packing tobacco at the top of a conical bowl to leave an air space at the bottom) some Frog Morton Cellar in my Erik Nording and it smoked for close to an hour with no gurgle and 1 hit with lighter. I love it, it is now my top favorite up along with Dunhill Nightcap, which is my go to chill out smoke. Well I hope this help's anyone who reads this and doesnt end up sounding like a bunch of gobblie goop. Good smoking everyone! :puffy:

10336853_10152096185971712_5876464645857399215_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-

9/10368395_10152096198711712_613264129452190796_n.jpg

10492578_10152096254286712_13912396533402693_n.jpg

10428444_10152096254436712_2851134982400445820_n.jpg

10262180_10152096254796712_8480305975341851245_n.jpg

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Oh and I am impatiently waiting a Peterson 303 Standard System that should be here thursday that my fiance won on ebay for like 41 dollars. I really and waiting on the edge of my chair for the 1938 Made in Eire Peterson 317 we also won on ebay for a song in great condition! I guess my experience with pipes is, trial and error find what you like, don't count out the "cheap" stuff that people turn up their noses at. I still think my Kaywoodie is my go to for outside work and such and its easy to clean out doesnt gurgle and smokes cool even when the bowl gets stupid hot riding in the car with the window down! :mrgreen:
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Welcome aboard brother! I remember my first few agonizing smokes. OUCH! It looks like you're off to a good start there! Getting the hang of smoking was a huge issue for me when I was starting out. I always felt like I was doing something wrong. As you expose yourself to different tobaccos you'll figure out what works and what doesn't. I always have more of a problem figuring out the tobacco than the pipe. For me, packing and pacing myself were my 2 biggest issues. Another thing I would recommend is maybe trying matches to see how you like that. They burn MUCH cooler than lighters so you're not as likely to burn yourself while lighting you pipe. Also, a little trick I learned from the old school smokers is putting your thumb over the top of the pipe and gently taking a few puffs, releasing your thumb in between each puff to get more smoke out of your tobacco. It'll heat up that ember though, so be easy when you do it.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Nice pipes Carl, I like the cabinet very unobtrusive good idea. I have a 4 gun cabinet in the basement with glass panels now I can modify it.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Oh I forgot to add in one more thing, don't forget this is a pleasurable thing, don't let people ruin it for you, the reason I mention this is because earlier today I caught alot of flak from guys I served with in Iraq for now smoking a pipe, even though we all smoked and dipped and what have you not, I was told this was a hipster thing? I don't think I fit into that category by a country mile but who cares if I was. I live in the north GA mountains and I love sitting on my back porch smoking my pipe and watchin my cat go after lightnin bugs while my dog is snoring beside my chair lol. We all give each other flak about stuff for fun, but don't let some off color comments ruin something that you've found interesting or relaxing.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hey there SailerJeremy, thank you for your service to the country and for being a corpsman! I'm former 11B 1st ID 1-26INF OIF 2 and 10th Mountain Div. 2-22INF OIF 7. I'm in Ft. Living Room now lol. Miss the fight but not the dog and pony show. Thanks for the tips! Totally agree with the tobacco thing! PITA lol.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Great Carl, I omit Peterson and simply say "The Thinking Man Smokes a Pipe" and leave it at that. Which 99% of the time that statement holds true.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
NateNice lol, I need a dang gun cabinet, in the same room I've got 2 pump shotties, a break action 410, my old 70's m77 30-06, and my Marlin 30-30 sitting in the corner. 1 thing at a time I guess.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I do try and follow that mantra of thinking before speaking. :) HAHAHA. 15yrs ago I knew it all 10 years ago I thought I was smart, now I find myself asking more questions and keeping my mouth shut more often lol.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Hey quick question? Do you know when my little picture will show up? Or do I need to hit like 50 posts or somthing?

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Click on your name, just below your picture. Then click "Avatar" in the top right. Go from there :)
Thank YOU sir for your service. You'll like it here on the forum. Tons of past and present Sailor, Devil Dogs, and Soldiers, and everything in between. Don't be afraid to throw around those good military acronyms around here! :D

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Hey carlweis, my entire collection consists of Kaywoodies, Yello-Boles, LHS, Grabows and other assorted "working man" pipes. I'm not a drug store pipe snob by any means, but I had to start somewhere! Now that I feel like I know my way around a little better, which shapes I prefer and so on, I feel like I'm ready to spend a little more very soon.
Thanks for posting the pictures and welcome to the forum!
Mike

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
tuold, I love my Kaywoodie, that pipe blows me away I think that cool sip thingy is what makes it so nice to smoke clean and enjoy. I've 2 Grabows one of which I love almost as much as the Kaywoodie, the other just doesn't do it for me at all. I've been smoking my estate peterson 303 the last few days since receiving it and I love it, I'm waiting on a 1938 peterson 317 rusticated I got on ebay for peanuts that looks to be in great condition. My Pete seems to have started becoming my go to pipe, even over my Nording. I just love the light weight, the look and the way it smokes. But nothing beats my meerschaum for taste!

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Great Little collection you have going there Carlweis. One of my all time favorite pipes was a Grabow that was branded for LL Bean. Thing smoked like a champ and was great for clenching while doing yard work or washing flies in the river. I also am a huge fan of Frog Morton, it is an excellent smoke

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
derrickyoung, thats cool I've never seen a LL Bean Grabow! Thats cool as hell. Oh I just got some Frog Morton and FM Cellar not to long ago, I love Frog Morton Cellar but don't like the regular Frog. My favorites right now are Dunhill Nightcap, Sutliff Maple and Rum, FM Cellar, and sometimes Carter Hall with a hot coffee lol.
Right now I'm trying to figure out why my new Nording started tasting and smelling like a bitter ashtray? None of my other pipes smell like that? This is my first new pipe, I'm guessing whatever that carbon layer they put on it is burning off or interacting with the tobacco? I'm going to get some kosher salt and alcohol and clean it out and try again.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Welcome aboard, Brother. You have an impressive array of pipes and tobacco for someone who is just starting out! Really like that meer bulldog. I don't think I've seen one like that before.
Thanks for sharing the pics. That's probably my favorite thing about this site...looking at everyone's collections.
Welcome home, and thanks for your service, amigo.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks rangerearthpig once I started finding pipes I just started snatching them up cause they were so cheap! Those two meers are the most expensive at $40 a piece which to me was a deal even though they were a little banged up and well used. I love the longer of the two. Thank you also for the welcome back home, wish I was still kickin in doors and puttin lead down range but my body put an end to that lol.
Rangers Lead The Way!!!

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Only ever bought 3 new pipes and I have not liked the experience of breaking a new pipe in once. I would rather pay for a nicer estate that has been restored that I can start enjoying from day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.