PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2011
Louisiana, USA
Hi, I'm new to pipes, but I've smoked cigars. I enjoy the full bodied, robust flavors, ones with strong tobaccos rather than the mild ones that most females around here tend to prefer. I was told to smoke a mild tobacco given to me by my local tobacconist for 2 weeks to let my mouth acclimate before trying the more flavorful blends, but I'm ready to start looking for something new and english blends seem to be what I might like in taste. What should I try?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
welcome to the forum..where do I start?....there are so many:
Boswells-Northwoods,Mild English, Bear Blend

Penzance-my favorite baccy in the world so far

Margate

Commonwealth

Peterson-Irish Oak

Dunhill-Early Morning Pipe

Presbyterian

Pembroke-flavored with Cognac

Uhls-Bishops Move
someone elses turn now.

charlie

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2011
Louisiana, USA
Thanks, I definitely will try some of those. The Northwoods, Penzance, Irish Oak, and Presbyterian look especially appealing.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Hi, Charlie -- "Light" English blends are out there. I'm not an expert, but, for example, Tinder Box has "Coventry." Perhaps one of the pros could help out with naming some of the lighter English blends. As an aromatic tobacco smoker, I've had a rough time with the English blends I've tried thus far -- tongue bite.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A nice entry to the English blends is Iwan Ries' Spilman Mixture. Very nice and middle of the road in strength. Their Distinguished Gentleman also looks intruiging.

lukester

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2011
I would have to say G. L. Pease Maltese Falcon, it was the first one I tried and liked

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Welcome Charlie! :D
Great blends have already been named. You really can't go wrong with trying any of them. Here are a few on my list to try:
Dunhill - Nightcap

McClelland - 5100

Cornell & Diehl - Billy Budd
Happy smoking! :puffy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My first English tobacco was from Sterling. He has several blends. If you describe what you want he will give you a 2 oz sample. Lots of people here really like his work.
http://www.sterlingtobaccoco.com/
Winton

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hi Charlie....Welcome to the Forum...

If you're looking for a pleasant and tasty introduction to latakia leaf, consider Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just For Him

Aloha!.... :puffy:

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Just as a follow-up to this thread, nobody seems to have noted the distinction between Cyprian and Syrian latakia. My next venture into the world of latakia will be to select a Syrian latakia which is supposed to be very good. I'm looking at trying Three Oaks Syrian from McClelland's. The Irish Oak that you mentioned doesn't contain latakia according to Tobacco Reviews. The only Peterson's that seems to be a latakia blend is Old Dublin. I haven't tried it.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Dunhill 965 ... very very sweet

Sillem's Black ... if you once were a girl scout

MacBaren Syrian something ... mild english

MacBaren HH Highland Blend ... wait for when it hits the market in may
and all Rattray's tins. Note that English doesn't necessarily mean Latakia.
Hope you enjoy pipesmoking and welcome to the forum!

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Give Billy Budd a whirl.... if you enjoy Cigars the bit of cigar leaf my just be the ticket for you...........

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Charlie,
Based off of one of your recent posts about not getting the same nic hit off of pipe tobacco, I am going to assume that you will probably be able to handle some stronger blends. With that in mind I suggest Capt. Earle's Ten Russians. It is a strong and heavy Latakia blend that is really good.
Like Bowhatchie said; since you enjoy cigars another good blend would be Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd. It has Latakia and cigar leaf in it.
You can also check out LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com and browse through the tobaccos listed to see what they contain and read reviews.

charlie

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2011
Louisiana, USA
Thanks alot, Bob. I'll definitely look into those. And that site seems really interesting. I've been reading revies on tobaccoreviews.com, but most of the tobaccos seem to get all raving reviews so it's not much help, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.