PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjsnodgrass

Lurker
Jun 7, 2012
Sup people of pipesmagazine :) !
My shipment from pipesandcigars just came in to get me started with smoking, and I just had my first bowl! I got an MM Cob, and I bought some Mississippi River, some Altadis Coffee 203 and Count Pulaski, along with McClelland's Columbian Mocha. It's definitely a lot different than cigarettes, having just quit those for 2 weeks now. I'm enjoying it so far though.
So any tips for the newbie? I have to generally smoke outside unless I find a good aromatic that I could get away with smoking in the house, which I have a few to try... So any tips for keeping the bowl going outside? Also, whenever I exhale sometimes while lighting, I end up blowing up a lot of ash from the bowl and burning my fingers lol.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Welcome to the forum. So many tips, where do I start? Smoking outside is not a problem keeping a bowl going, kinda same as inside. Don't exhale back into the pipe, naturally as you have found out. The objective is to see how slow you can smoke the bowl of baccy...go too fast, and you receive a bad case of "tongue burn"...so lightly "sip" the smoke..very gently...pipe smoking is all about relaxing and slowing down the world.
Sounds like a great selection of baccy for you to start off with. Congrats on quitting the cigs. :clap:

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Welcome to the Forum.
You can get a wealth of pipe smoking information and knowledge on this site so stay tuned and don't be shy about asking questions.
Enjoy your new pipe smoking hobby..... :puffy:

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
There are lots of benefits to expect, even before you're good at it.
Expect to see an increase in your I.Q.

Expect to see an increase in your sex appeal.

Expect to see an increase in your social sophistication.

Expect to lose free time satisfying those seeking your wisdom.
I humbly offer myself as a role model.
.....and welcome to the forum. :D

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Don't judge a blend until you've smoked more than a few bowls and a bowl's character changes as you work your way down. Relax, puff slowly and enjoy.
Don't be disappointed if you move on to briars and don't smoke as well as your humble cob. Cobs are the best unless you want to impress.

tjsnodgrass

Lurker
Jun 7, 2012
Don't be disappointed if you move on to briars and don't smoke as well as your humble cob. Cobs are the best unless you want to impress.
I have a briar in mind at the moment, but only if I stick with this long enough to justify it.
Welcome to the forum. So many tips, where do I start? Smoking outside is not a problem keeping a bowl going, kinda same as inside. Don't exhale back into the pipe, naturally as you have found out. The objective is to see how slow you can smoke the bowl of baccy...go too fast, and you receive a bad case of "tongue burn"...so lightly "sip" the smoke..very gently...pipe smoking is all about relaxing and slowing down the world.
Sounds like a great selection of baccy for you to start off with. Congrats on quitting the cigs.
I'm more or less exhaling indirectly into the pipe. Like, I'll puff on it, then when I exhale if it's still in my mouth (If I'm getting the bowl going again. :) , then some of the ash comes up. Oh well, that's the fun and I'm enjoying having to actually learn.
If you smoke Escudo, you can also expect a 25-30% increase in manliness! Welcome to the Brotherhood!
Do I get an extra 20% manliness increase if I grow a beard as awesome as yours?

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forum! It'll be an opportunity to meet fellow pipe smokers, discuss tobacco blends, and trade samples. Lots of fun. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. Count Pulaski is a good cross-over English. I tried some when it was popular among the members of another online pipe group - one of the guys kindly sent me some. It wasn't my cuppa, but it is not bad stuff. :puffy:

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
welcome and be patient with your new found friend, pipe world. It must take a lot of adjustment from nails to cob, but stick with it and I suspect you won't be disappointed. great advice and guidance on this site.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the transition :clap:
In addition to all the advice, look for some YouTube videos of this forum (link on the left) on how to pack a pipe. Besides that, practice makes excellence, so don't get frustrated.
Finally, in addition to all the increases mentioned by mlaug and baron, expect a decrease in pocket money once the PAD and TAD monsters strike :rofl:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
welcome tjsnodgrass - you've definitely got yourself out to a good start, there. Appears you really dove right in and you've made some good tobacco and pipe choices.
Mississippi River is blended by the Seattle Pipe Club, and I'm a big fan of their Plum Pudding blend. If you like Mississippi River, you will like the Plum Pudding, I'll bet.
do your research about what kind of tobaccos go into the various blends, and you will enjoy the smoking experience more, certainly.
And ... last but certainly not least ... you need briar!

Status
Not open for further replies.