PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Hello all,
I got back into pipe smoking about 2 months ago after having dabbled in it in college 10+ years ago. Thanks to you all and YouTube, I feel like I actually know what I am doing now and am really enjoying it! I’ve been lurking here for a while and decided to finally say hello, and ask my first question.
I recently got my first full-bent pipe, and when I run a pipe cleaner through it during or after smoking, it sounds like the tip of cleaner is scraping along the inside of the bend. Is this normal, or will it eventually cause damage or some other problem? Should I be doing something to prevent it? I’m a little on the “obsessive” side when it comes to maintaining and caring for my stuff so...
This is a great forum! I’ve learned so much already and continue to learn everyday as I read through all the posts. Thanks for all the info and help!!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Could try pre-bending the tip of the pipe cleaner before inserting it. You don't want the metal of the pipe cleaner scratching the inside of the stem. If pre-bending doesn't work maybe a small cap of tape?????

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I seriously doubt it'll damage sufficient to harm the pipe in your lifetime or, the pipe's. I can hear them scrape in mine and simply choose not to worry about it. A lot of full bents have been smoke for many years without this problem and cleaner tips rasp the bit and brier on every one. It's the nature of a full bent. Listen close, pay attention to the fingers holding the cleaner and you'll hear/feel the tip scrape in many partially bent bits.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Warren said, not a problem in your lifetime ...or the pipe's. :puffy:

Prairiedruid's suggestion to put a small bend in the tip of the pipe cleaner will also help the pipe cleaner find the draft hole in the shank of many bent pipes.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Thank you all! I guess I won’t worry about it, and will try to limit the number of cleaners I run down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.