PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiam817

Lurker
May 7, 2013
I mainly smoke aromatic tobaccos but wanted to try other types. I enjoyed Dunhil Flake when I tried it but didn't like the Natural blend from the local tobacco shop which is odd because I enjoy smoking cigars. I was tempted to try the tobacco of the month club from Pipesandcigars.com but have read they offer mainly aromatics.
What would yall recommend for someone who wants to try something new but not into plain natural?

samiam817

Lurker
May 7, 2013
I've read other members say it was a 3 to 1 ratio (aros: other blends)I do enjoy aromatics but again wanted to try something else just not sure what.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I recently got a free sample of Erik Stokkebye's 1931, which is a Va-Burley-Cavendish flake. It has a nice nic punch, a natural taste, and a pleasant old-time-classic-pipe room note. You might like that one. Fold and stuff works well, and it stays lit well. I was surprised as I expected my first foray into a flake to be frought with issues.
My mainstay is Dunhill Royal Yacht, which is a straight Va but supposedly topped with something nobody seems to be able to put their finger on. It is a very strong nic tobacco, so watch out. It's an acquired taste, took me a little while to warm up to it.
And of course, if you're looking for something non-Aro but also not a straight cigarette-like natural blend, a Latakia-containing English might be just what you're looking for. My go-to is Dunhill Nightcap. It to packs a strong nic punch, so be aware of that, but I happen to like that about it.

samiam817

Lurker
May 7, 2013
Thinking about giving this a try

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77378/king-of-the-dunhill-sampler/#p-137514]null

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
When I started smoking pipe tobacco I enjoyed (and still do) aero's. Then I discovered a wonderful blend called Frog Morton, so that would have to be my recommendation. There is also Early Morning Pipe, a nice blend that has a light latakia taste.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Really enjoying C&D Morning Drive time at the moment, which is a superb blend of Burley, Lat, and Perique. It's smooth and smokes cool, although there are occasional little bits of spice from the Perique. It smells lovely and is extremely moreish. Highly recommended.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a tasty English blend that is not quite so nic-strong as Nightcap, Dunhill MM 965 is great; many

like it. If you want a milder English blend, Altadis Fox and Hound is tasty but low key. If you want to have

a special experience with an especially balanced and elegant blend, try Nat Sherman #356. Call them at

1-800-mycigar, or email at cgold@natsherman.com. But the list goes on and on; you'll never run out of

blends and unblended tobaccos to try. You can spend a happy evening studying the tobacco menus at

Cornell & Diehl and G.L. Pease (just to pick two for example) at any one of our sponsor online retailer sites.

McClelland, Lane, Altadis, Mac Baren, and on, and on.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been gravitating toward "cross-overs" like Two Friends English Chocolate, C&D USS Mason which are lat blends with a light aro feel. My favorite aro is Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. A wonderful blend with a cognac topping. Great smoke and room note.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Not that they're anything alike, the resurected "Elizibethan Mixture" and GL Pease's "Triple Play".

Two fav's of mine.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I would think this is a question from a fairly new P.S.Some people can eat any thing and bend with the breeze as far as cuisine. Pipe tobacco is Kind of the same. Each person has a taste unique to the next . So you should be more specific in the direction you want to go as far as recommendations.So here's mind: aromatic, simple Captain black white ,something similar Boswell Pennsylvania dutch treat. English,McClelland 5110.Something with a little more oomfh,Sutliff #5. Burly, Prince Albert.A little more flavor, Boswell Premium Burly. Virginia, McClelland 5100 Red cake. Blend / Oriental, Hearth & Home DayBreak. And the list can go on and on.Dig in and enjoy the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.