PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty59

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
Hi guys and girls, I am after some advice please on a new pipe acquisition. I am looking for a nice light, smallish bowl, easy on the hang addition to my arsenal. I am not a tight clencher, so some thing that's easy to use whilst in the car. Smaller bowl would suffice, and I think this would be handy for when I need a quick smoke, and don't want to load the 3 gallon Savallini.

Thanks for your input, I am having a heap of fun reading what I can here. Again, thanks for the warm welcomes.

Smitty

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Ligne Bretagne fit the bill nicely. I like these a lot: http://www.talbertpipes.com/bretagne.shtml
He releases a few a month. Marty at Pulver's has a couple unsmoked now for around $100: http://sherlocks-haven.com/usa.html
If you want something kind of unique and special without breaking the budget, there are a few folks out there using old french briar and making new pipes out of them. They tend to be exactly what you are looking for in terms of size and shape. Perhaps another member knows of other folks making them.
Ropp pipes are quite inexpensive and they are lightweight and smaller.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Savinelli 313 Roma. Perfect size and a wonderful smoke

911494e4-350a-436d-82c6-b698d4765a6e-449x600.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

This is where SPC's pipe locator can be a big help. Just select what you're looking for in a pipe, and it shows you your options from their stock. Otherwise, early Dunhill group 1 and 2 sized billiards are some of my favorite small pipes. Good luck and enjoy your search.

Jun 27, 2016
I like my Brebbia Junior shape 2761 for a smaller bowl that has a bowl-shaped chamber. If you want more of a cone-chamber, they have a 2765 acorn shape which I also have, but it seems a little more cranky with certain blends in terms of flavor. I use that one for only a couple blends. It likes cube-cut. But the 2761 seems more versatile in respect to getting good flavor from more of my tobaccos. Since I got it I've been using it for VAs, VA/Oris and straight Oris, (no Latakia), and the ones that I like taste great in it. They are also 9mm filter pipes, which I know some people avoid, but Brebbia filter pipes should include a free insert adapter.
:puffy:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
You mentioned Savinelli, and I'm a huge fan so my suggestions are in that vein. They also make a petite line of pipes that may interest you. Check SP.com. Here's a neat little pipe. 134mm long, 25mm deep chamber and 20mm wide chamber.
Not cheap though, $240.
002-033-25341.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I really like my Peterson System 31. Small, light and smokes great! https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=266061

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
That Sav 313 is cool.
I own 4 Peterson 303's which I bought as estate pipes.
This rare 303 has been sitting on the dock of the ebay for awhile, might get it cheaper than the $205 he's asking for it. He's a stand-up reliable seller too. These older Petes are way better than the new stuff they crank out. And at half the price of new.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-to-Find-Old-Stock-Petersons-Dublin-Spigot-03S-Pocket-Pipe-Re-of-Ireland/112638028161?hash=item1a39bfe981:g:x4sAAOSwnTdaBknm

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could have some work ahead shopping, unless you have settled on a brand and series, because everyone, starting with top artisans, and on to Dunhill, and with nearly every name brand, there are excellent smaller bowl pipes offered, so you really have almost endless options. On the low end, Iwan Ries has Ewa pipes with small bowls starting at about $37, but real quality French pipes that will turn flake or plug into an hour smoke. The possibilities are endless, so have at it.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have two little French pipes that I bought for the same reasons. Both smoke like a dream and were lucky finds. Good luck and happy pipe shopping

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look at Stanwell bulldog shape 32 in any of various finishes if you like the shape.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My limited experiences, in ascending cost order:
$6 Missouri Meerschaum Tom Sawyer
balkan-600x337.jpg

$20-50 Stanwell 86 (out of stock right now) Kinda light and wide bit makes it feel more so.
dfu-600x337.jpg

$30 Baraccini Pocket Pipe. My shape (135) no longer shown. Smaller than they look.
baraccini-135-600x337.jpg

$90 Hilson Vintage Panel (Mine was $25 Estate) These seems to be old and lightweight briars.
hilson-600x337.jpg

$96 Savinelli 606 (KS is larger bowl, but hangs well. Dig deeper to find "regular" non-KS model) Mine was $35 estate.
navy-flake-337x600.jpg

$155 Dunhill Group 2 Shape 90 Estate. Lightest easiest clencher I've tried to date.
dunhill6.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Savinelli made a Piuma line a few... I guess about ten years now. Wow, that long? Anyways, they have a .5” bore, very narrow. They weigh in at about half an ounce in weight. But, I can get thirty to forty-five minutes out of them, more with flake. And, I love them for driving short distances. You can still find them on eBay occasionally for dirt cheap, and I really enjoy mine.

piumas.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I use my custom pipe from Indonesian pipe maker. Look at my album. it can load a considerable amount of tobacco though

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I didn't see anyone suggest a strawberry wood or a morta pipe. They are lightest briar pipes if that's desired. Of course, meerschaum is low weight, and often available with low volume bowls, perfect for shorter smokes. All of these are available at various price points, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.