PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I started a thread a few days back about my mosquito problem and bought a unit called SkeeterVac SV3100 to combat the situation. From the video on the website and from some reviews I'd read it seemed to be the answer to the problem. I got it yesterday and put it together, attached the propane tank and got it going by 5:30 pm. I let it run all night and all day today checking it when I got home today which was about 24 hours later. Not one damn mosquito in that tray. There were several unidentified bugs and some gnats but no mosquitoes. I was hacked to say the least.
I got on the Internet and talked with a rep about it and was told I had the scent door for lack of a better word, open too far. I told her it was opened about half way since the instructions didn't tell you how to set it and was told to only open it 1/4th the way. So, I went out and closed the little door to about 1/4 and checked again a couple hours later at about 6:30 when they're really bad...nothing. My dog came out to investigate and sit about 15-20 feet away and I looked over at him a few minutes later and they were all over him. Talk about pissed. Here's this nearly $400 unit sitting there running and they attack my dog 15 feet away. I am not a happy camper. I hate it when things don't work as advertised and if things don't pick up I may move it some place else. If that don't work it's going back.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I believe I read a description of something similar a few summers back. That said it may take several days to become effective. I think that may be true especially if it is breezy.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I was expecting to see at least 50-100 in that tray when I got home today but no dice. I don't know. If it doesn't yield something by later tomorrow afternoon I may move it but to me where it is now is a pristine place. Most discouraging nevertheless.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It has been, Al. I expected it to work as I viewed on the online video where the guy shows the tray with a couple hundred mosquitoes after the unit was on and running for one day...I had zero. There's plenty of them around here as that's the reason I bought it so, not sure what's going on. They seem to want my dog more than be lured to the unit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I remember reading in your other thread that they were Tiger Mosquitoes (from Southeast Asia).

If they don't know to go to the trap, maybe it's because they're dis-Oriented. :lol:

220px-Aedes_Albopictus.jpg

I know, Lawrence, Kick in another 25ȼ
pstlpkr.jpg

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Them things don't work, had one now the tank is on My grill and the rest in the landfill.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
The instructions said to put it in the shade upwind of their travel. I don't know how I'm suppose to know where they bed down but I put it in the far end of the backyard close to the shed where I've seen them on my dog a lot and used the Lurex attractant, as they call it, rather than the other kind that comes with the unit since most all, if not all indeed, the mosquitoes I've seen and caught have been the Tiger mosquito. The Lurex3 as it's termed, is solely for that breed but as I checked the units trap out this morning about 9:30 there is still none in the trap.
From all I've read this breed doesn't mind sunlight as long as it's not direct. I've seen them chase Bubba from shade to sunlight. Their not your typical mosquito and are most aggressive and out all day but not at night. We have China and/or Japan to thank for these varmints as they came over in old tires bound for recycle from what I read. Well, either way they're here and I'm waging total war on them.
That photo cortez posted is exactly what they look like.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I was going to buy one of these and I went online first to look for opinion, since it was mostly bad I opted for the yard company down the street spray the lawn, both front and rear for bugs. It has cut the b*****s down by at least 3/4 from last year not to mention spiders which makes the wife happy. Since I have a well I was concerned but he said buy the time any would make it to underground it would be inert. Besides my well is above an underground stream and my water come from somewhere else.
Not saying it will work for you, just what it did for me.
BTW, I have a 1/4 acre pond in the front yard.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I'm no expert(having spent all my life in one city or another) but wouldn't killing your spiders only add to your mosquito problem as they consume mosquitoes as part of their diet ?

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I don't think it kills spiders. At least I haven't seen any evidence of that. If spiders eat mosquitoes they're sure doing a poor job around here and I aim to fire every one of them.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Actually I was referring to pipeinhand using a yard chemical to kill his mosquitoes and spiders.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Maybe that's what I should have done early on-Call a pest control company and have them spray every few weeks or so as this thing's still not producing...most aggravating.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Maybe your lure is defective. Besides my work in horticulture, I'm also running an invasive species survey in our local vineyards here in New York. We use pheromone lures and paper traps coated with stick'em. You could try putting out fly paper with the lure on it to see if the lure works or if you have a type of sticky substance (roofing tar, something that with remain sticky and not dry out) put it on a big piece of cardboard and use that as it will have more surface area than just fly paper. I'm sorry that your machine isn't working but step one will be to determine what is not working. It could be as simple as the lure is bunk. If you want to try something a little more complicated and give up on the machine, let me know.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It seems the unit is operating as designed. I've talked with two different manufacturing reps today and another source yesterday and they went through the entire process of setting up with me although the instructions were clear in that respect. What the instructions don't tell you is to not turn the propane on till the knob stops. I was told that was too much and could have overheated the regulator. They told me to only turn the know one turn. Why that couldn't have been in the instruction manual is a mystery. I had to purge the unit but disconnecting the line from the unit to the tank, push in and hold the control valve for 30 seconds and then reconnect and this time only one turn on the tank. I did that all to no avail. After some hours nothing changed as for catching anything.
Another part of the instructions that was missing was about how far open to adjust the door to the attractant which in my case is the Lurex bait since the Tiger mosquito is so prevalent down south and that's what's biting me and my dog. Nothing in the units instructions or with the bait or lure tells you about how far the door should be open I tried one fourth, one half and neither worked. I tried both for some hours and I still hadn't attracted any mosquitoes. There is a tack strip that fits around the unit about a foot high but all it's caught has been several flies and gnats along with pine needles...no mosquitoes. The lure is wrapped in a rubberized sleeve so I guess that's suppose to keep it from drying out and you have to peel it off and then place it in the unit.
This is a pic of the unit. The black and white area is the tacky strip that fits around the unit. Mosquitoes are suppose to be sucked in and found in the clear tray above the strip but to date nothing other than gnats and some unidentified insects have been all I've caught. Meanwhile, I feel I'm just wasting propane.
5uv-sv3100-xlg-8.jpg

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
So maybe the it is the lure that is defective. My traps are decidedly low tech compared to this but the concept is the same: lure + trapping mechanism. If it isn't a financial burden, try changing the lures. If the new lure works, try to get a refund for the defective one. If the whole thing is defective, then get a refund for the whole thing and then we can work on something else that still might not work but will be easier to live with than a sunk cost of $400. Working in science, one must learn to be cost effective in the all too regular event of total failure.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
The 3-pack of lures weren't that expensive. I may try another tomorrow but they were all together in one box so, I don' know it that will help or not but worth a try. They do give a one year warranty but better yet there's a 30 day no questions asked if you want to return it for a full refund. I hate doing that as I didn't buy it to have to ship it back. I bought it to get rid of mosquitoes and planned on keeping it.
I even switched bait or lure this evening(Octenel I think it's called rather than the Lurex) hoping maybe they would be more attracted to that. I'll check tomorrow on that. If not, I'll try using another one of the lures that came in the three pack. Not much to lose at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.