Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
24991268_169900410412339_3272505526930902634_n.jpg

A new metal sign for the side of my tobacco cabinet.

Edited: I fixed the title capitalization and changed "sigh" to "Sign" ~Cosmic

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I smoked Spirit RYO's exclusively for about 15 years.
Still have my crispy last half a pouch from about 3 years ago when I quit, "just in case". (sigh)
jay-roger.jpg

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I like how their sign features a pipe smoker. Even expensive cigarettes aspire to be associated with pipes.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
The Indian is what I liked about it. I have never tried their cigarettes. I got this sigh and another from a store going out of business.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Footnote: Native Americans are associated with the peace pipe and ceremonial smoking, but according to accounts from that time, such as James Willard Schultz, a writer who lived with the Blackfoot from his teens and on and off for the rest of his life, and married a Blackfoot and had his one child with her, the Indians did smoke recreationally quite a bit, as a relaxation after their rigorous hunting and other demanding activities.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
I was look up Native American tobacco pipes the other day. You are right, I didn't read up on other tribes but the Cherokee used pipe stone for their ceremonial pipes, and their everyday pipes were clay with river reed stems. I'm thinking about trying to make my own clay one.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Supposedly, sighs can be recycled. But it is quite difficult, I hear, and using new ones is the best course for most of us. (Sigh, it is a sign...) 8)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Even expensive cigarettes aspire to be associated with pipes.
I was watching the netflix tv series about the Una Bomber and they had a reference to Balkan Sobranie as a cigarette and kind of an affectation of indulgence.

I really enjoyed this series, and have one (the last) episode to watch. Compelling.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I haven't read all of the Unabomber Manifesto, but thought the parts I read were well written. I have not seen the series Manhunt, it sounds like they explore the psychology and philosophy of Ted Kaczynski. From what I remember about reading his words is that they were very similar to much of the environmental movement's philosophy. In a way, I am not surprised to see Netflix promulgating Ted Kaczynski's ideas, they are ideas that are concerned with population management and our future as a species.

American Spirit cigarettes probably are an affectation of indulgance for many people. When much of a person's world is full of sacrifices, it can feel good to associate with a luxury item. Some people go to the movies, some drink micro brews, some smoke expensive tinned tobacco, some go out to eat at restaurants or drink at bars. If you wear expensive clothes or make your car look better than is necessary, is it just showing off? Some have the money, some just want a taste of the good life after slaving away all week. In a way it is funny because most of us who explore the differences in products find that the prices paid for premium names, is just that, paying for the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.