PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
This is coming on the Sky Living Network. I saw a preview the other night, but no mention whatsoever of pipe smoking! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18712400

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It is intersting to watch the different incarnations of The Great Detective. If given the opportunity I'll watch it but few of these iterations are as good as the original character. I never tire of Holmes.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
In my opinion, its very hard for anyone to bet Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Doyle's Holmes. The actor who plays Mycroft in the same series is excellent as well.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I very much enjoy the new BBC Series, it's mind-blowing. I also like the Old BBC series and the Robert Downey Jr. movies. This new series looks like garbage, however and I'll avoid it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I read most of the stories years ago and have seen many of the film and TV adaptations. I'm sure I'm missing something but I am not a fan of Jeremy Brett's interpretation. He just seems too fragile, both mentally and physically.
Though I know they're taking liberties, I did enjoy both Robert Downey Jr's and Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayals. Obviously not canon, but very enjoyable.
The upcoming CBS series looks terrible.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yes, it's true Jeremy Brett suffered from Bi-Polar Disorder and he also had heart problems. They were so bad the last episodes he played in (Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes), he was unhappy with his looks since the medication he was on made him retain water which in turn made him look "fat". He made it a point to be fully clothed in a jacket and all to help cover his "bulk". In those last episodes, he DID seem fragile, but that's because he was. Charles Gray (Mycroft) was called in to fill in in several episodes in which Mycroft makes no appearance in the Doyle stories.
Obviously, I think Brett is the ultimate Holmes (Duh! Bet no one coulda figured THAT out...), which isn't to say I don't enjoy Holmes' more recent portrayals (e.g. Downey, Jr. & Cumberbatch). Both actors bring a different part of Holmes to the screen that had never been explored before in previous incarnations. I think the Downey's Holmes see things as Holmes would, where his mind and powers of observation are always on. Cumberbatch brings Holmes' anti-social/sociopathic tendencies to the front while keeping in line with his true affection for Martin Freeman's Watson. While I will watch this new version, in the fall, I fear it will suffer from too many suit-fingers in the pot and ultimately fail.
For me, when I read the stories, I hear Edward Hardwicke's Watson narrating, Brett's voice for Holmes, Rosalie Williams' Mrs. Hudson, and Gray's Mycroft.
FWIW, if anyone is interested, Anthony Horowitz's new Holmes novel, "House of Silk", which has been approved of as canon by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Estate is a very good read and it stay in line with the rest if the stories Doyle wrote both in theme and writing. I'm looking forward to more stories so long as they stay within the line so distinctly set down by Doyle.
-Jason

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I like the BBC Sherlock series the only put out 3 episodes a season but it is a very good modern telling of some of his classic story's the first season is streaming on netflix.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Bazil Rathbone was the best Sherlock....this new version is doomed...to many changes.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
it might be worth watching.. ain't got much competition. it's won't be Sherlock Holmes only Bazil and Robert Downey Jr. are Sherlock. but, a Sherlock 'like' series taking place in NYC sure would beat another dancing with the stars (really) series.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Still my favorite Holmes was Basil Rathbone. Saturday, late night/early morning actually, smoking my Calabash pipe watching the movies in Black & White on the tube. The year 1969 to be exact. Ahhh the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.