PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I love the Bing shape and have collected a number of them but I have so far never been greatly tempted to pick up a Savinelli "Bing's Favorite"....until now.
bings-favorite-002-033-28794.jpg

Smoking Pipes has offered about a dozen of these over the last month. I grabbed one of them. The color, the rustication, the faux cumberland stem and the very slight bend really impressed me.
I have smoked two evening bowls of Haddo's this week. Wonderful.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I've got 6 or 7 of these. I have done the same thing as Ray, and straightened the stem on all of them and agree, more enjoyable to clench and smoke IMO.
These were my go-to pipes until I started having Scottie custom make Bings for me. Now, admittedly, they don't see much action anymore.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Congrats on the new Sav Bing...my experience with Savinelli is that they are great smokers.
I recently got the Ginger's Favorite (Bing like); I preferred the stem over the Bing. I've thought about having Basil Meadows make me one of his Merchant Service replicas.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Great new pipe. I was surprised how much I liked mine when I got it, it has become my favorite pipe.
I've considered both the Basil Meadows replica and a Scottie pipe. How do the Scottie's smoke?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Very nice pipe. I've been thinking about one of those for a long time but have yet to pull the trigger.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
How do the Scottie's smoke?
I'm partial, but they smoke amazing. I believe I am up to 7 of them, all in the Bing style. Cool smoking and easy to clench. Can't get a better pipe for the price, IMO.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I knew you liked them and had a few. I didn't realize it was 7! That's a great endorsement though, thanks!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've thought about having Basil Meadows make me one of his Merchant Service replicas.
Think no more and just do it! Great guy to deal with, great pipe. Instant favorite. Light, perfectly balanced, just nothing negative to be said about it.
Who's Scotty and how to see pic of his Bings...website?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Scottie Piersel is an American pipe maker.

She does great work and is fun to work with on commissions.

Google her name and you'll find her website with plenty of pics.

I have 2 pipes from her myself.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Man, nice pipes!!!!
You see, this is one of the reasons I dissapear from this site from time to time. You guys cost me a lot of money. This morning I already snatched up the smooth Bing's favorite that was on smokinpipes.com's update from yesterday because of this thread. I'm calculating how much money I can put aside to get a Meadow's Bing, and I'm contemplating reaching out to Scottie to see what she would charge for a commission.
Pipesmagazine.com forum = one. expensive. a$$ed. place.
:mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We're all a bunch of happy enablers! Both the Piersall and SP pipes are very nice. I have a Basil Meadows Bing, and like it a lot.
Is aluminum banding what Mr. Crosby preferred?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think "Bings Favorite" is one of Savenelli's all-time favorites. The design gets the balance just right, enough bowl but not too much to allow the lithe shank and stem. It's an especially nice looking pipe which enhances it's being appetizing to smoke.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
I just recently got my first Savinelli and just love their sand blast finishes. Enjoy and congrats on the new pipe.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@instymp:
I straightened out my Bing's Favorite stem using a hair dryer on the hottest setting. It took awhile but it worked. I was going to use a heat gun but I was afraid that I might damage the stem.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Boiling water works too and not chance of burning the stem... well... as long as you don't rest it on the bottom of the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.