PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I typically prefer straight billiards and the occasional churchwarden. I admit though they can get a bit boring so in an attempt to step out of my comfort zone I decided to try a few pipes that I normally wouldn't have.
Also, while English/Balkan blends will always be my first love, I have taken to liking a handful of aromatics and recently noting that a large chamber really helps to bring out the flavor, I've been on the look out for a large chambered pipe that was not a straight billiard.
I found this Baronet Bruyere on Smokingpipes.com. At first I didn't care for it, but the past few weeks of looking at it over and over it started growing on me and it definitely filled the criteria of having a large bowl.
UPS showed up at eight o'clock this morning and dropped it off. I haven't smoked it yet, but damn, Savinelli isn't kidding around with the size (and weight) of their "EX" series. This pipe is HUGE!
Seriously, you could club a baby seal with this thing! Anyway here are the pics!
IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a Sav 316 and it is amazing. It is my best smoker, I hope you enjoy it! It looks awesome.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I have a Savinelli Baronet Bruyere 510ex, it is my best smoking pipe. I love it.

kelp

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Sweet pipe juvat270!!
Just as a general PSA, pipesandcigars.com is having a sale on ALL savinelli pipes. 15% off. Sale ends October 17th.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Thanks guys! Sorry the pics weren't better, all I have is a cell phone camera. After posting the pics I loaded it up with some Stokkebye Dansk Black and had my first bowl. Smoked pretty well, but with that big bowl, it was a little tricky at first to get it lit. I think I may have to alter my packing method as well. Perhaps a tad looser than usual.
Regardless, I'm really digging this pipe and thinking about grabbing another one of their EX series pipes. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Very nice looking pipe, congrats on your latest acquisition. If it has a wide open air way, I have found that packing tighter actually gives a better burn. Play around with it and I am sure you will find the perfect pack. I have a Savinelli Goliath that is big and I smoke aro's out of it and usually pack it pretty firmly.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
If it has a wide open air way, I have found that packing tighter actually gives a better burn. Play around with it and I am sure you will find the perfect pack.
You were spot on cigrmaster! My first bowl, I packed my usual way but it just wasn't working as well. I tried packing it looser and that didn't work. So I took your advice and packed it a lot tighter and that took care of it.
I will say though, with a bowl this big, you really need to get a get a good draw while lighting it too. This pipe definitely threw me some curve balls, but I think I got it down now. :puffy:

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
That is a nice pipe. I've had my eye on that shape for a while now. I'm glad shes smoking nice for you. Do you find a difference in the flavor of the tobacco with the wide bowl?

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Do you find a difference in the flavor of the tobacco with the wide bowl?
Yes and no. The few aromatics I've become fond of do in fact seem to taste better in a larger bowl (but not all of them) and even though I don't smoke them as much as other blends, I wanted to find a pipe that I could dedicate to just those aromatics. This pipe so far has worked out really well for that purpose. :D
I say no also because I just don't notice a difference in the taste of English blends in relation to the size of the bowl. Of course taste is always subjective so take what I say with a grain of salt. And of course I agree with the general consensus that virginia blends and VaPers seem to taste better in a narrow gauge bowl. :puffy:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I love my EX. It is massive and by far my biggest pipe. I haven't smoked it yet but it looks to be very high quality.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Today my budget gets reset and I can't wait to pick up a Baronet Bruyere that my local B&M has been holding for me.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I've looked at those Savinelli Buyere's too... Let us know how it smokes! They have some great prices, I've been looking at the EX pots and Lumberman. They seem like a steal for the price

Status
Not open for further replies.