PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I have an opportunity to get one of these for under $200 but I have no idea if that's a good price. Its a 2009 series 5. Closest thing I can find is this but the one I'm looking at has no bamboo, no bend, no sand blast/rustification. Sorry, I can't get a pic right now. Any idea what the value of something like that would be based on the description? Would that be a good purchase? That one sells for $310.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't own a Savinelli. So, I can't speak to the actual value.

But, (me personally) I probably will never spend that kind of money on a Sand Blasted or Rusticated pipe.

How does the grain on the one you're looking at appear?

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Not superb but better than anything I currently have I think. I'll try to get some pics posted when I get back to my tent.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Paul, it's "brand new and unsmoked". The seller tells me he got an MSRP from sav of $560...but that sounded ludicrous to me. I don't know that's I'd smoke or even keep this if I got it...haven't decided yet. That's why I'm asking. If I decided not to keep it I'd like to at least be able to get my money back out of it (if not a little extra to stimulate future PAD :)

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It depends. Pricewise, its probably not bad at all. But at the same time you can probably get a lot more for the same money.

For instance, spending the same but buying an American hand made pipe; Spending the same but buying from an Italian maker that only does handmade pipes (Mastro de Paja, Don Carlos, Ser Jacopo for example); Spending the same but getting 2 great hand made estate pipes; Spending the same but getting 1 great hand made pipe and a couple of really good ones.

Theres other possibilities for emptying your wallet is all I'm saying.

If the Autograph is screaming "Buy Me" you'll do good to spend the money.

As a newer pipe smoker, spending the money on 2-3 really good estate pipes would make sense.

Or even spending the $ on one estate pipe that was $300+ new.

Point is, I like estate pipes :)

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Savinelli Autographs are one of Savinelli's top of the line pipes, and they tend to be pricey, They are handmade, I have some estate autographs and they are good smokers, Savinelli has a web page at savinelliusa.com and there USA headquarters is located in Morrisville NC and the phone number is 919-481-0511, You can give them a call and they will answer any questions you have about their pipes if you are interested, they also have a facebook page.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I bought this Autograph 4 estate this year from Marty Pulvers. Amazing smoker. One of my favorite pipes but because it is so large I rarely get to smoke a full bowl.
IMG_0617.jpg

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
That is a good looking pipe, the shape and the size is perfect, the look is definitely Savinelli, I think they make a good looking and good smoking pipe.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
I would personally have a difficult time spending that kind of money on one pipe. If it is worth it or not is really a matter of opinion. How badly do you want to possess it, and how hard does it hurt your wallet? On top of that how much do you care about spending the money? Personally I am with Lonestar and i would look at some estate pipes too. You might be surprised what you find.

Randy Wiley has been mentioned a few times and I would also say check his pipes out. A B&M I go to in Dayton carries a bunch of his pipes and they are real beauties and priced really well for handmade pipes.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
You could go to the cupojoes website and look at the autographs they have available and see if they have one similar to the one you are looking at and see what the prices are for those pipes and go from there. If its new and unsmoked I would safley say that less than 200 would be a good price.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I believe your original question was is $200 or a little less a good price for an unsmoked Savinelli Autographs series 5 and I would have to say yes. In fact IMO it’s a respectable price for a smoked estate one if it is in pristine condition. I have two Autographs, a 4 & 5, and they're both fine smokers and prior to my resent infatuation with several of today’s North American carvers, I considered them my best smoking pipes. Here is a picture of my series 5.
P1010048.jpg

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I've decied that there are other pipes I'd rather have for that $200 and don't want to take a chance on not getting my money back out of it if I bought it. This is the pipe (couldn't get to ebay earlier)

Looks like it's been relisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.