New Samuel Gawith Flakes ~ Anyone Try Them Yet?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Anyone try them yet? I ordered one of each to try them out. I enjoy lots of other SG flakes; Bracken, 1792, St James, etc.
New ones being listed over at SP.com
English Summer Flake

Scottish Autumn Flake

Springtime Flake

Wintertime Flake

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
This series has been calling my name for a while. I remember reading about it when it was release across the pond. And now that it is available in North America, I have to get my hands on some. Just patiently waiting for pay day.
They all sound like very high quality tobacco

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I've had the pleasure to try the Wintertime Flake yesterday at work courtesy of one of my partners in pipe restoration at SPC ( he went downstairs to the store and bought a tin of each "season" ). Typical SG quality flake but cut more carefully/consistently than the staple ones. Left it to dry to a crunch, crumbled it and filled my new Peterson "Special" 2014 Silver Spigot with it. Burned nice and evenly with no relights ( other than the necessary ones since I can't sit back for an hour and puff whilst restoring pipes for you guys ). It tastes very much like SG Commonwealth, with the same smoky profile but with a rounder edge, much like SG Balkan Flake with lots more Latakia, or the Lancer Slices without the slight Orientals tang.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Wintertime had more latakia than Balkan Flake? BF is one of my favorites but its pretty heavy on Latakia....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I looked at these, but my memory is that the descriptions are not very specific and I didn't know what

the constituent tobaccos or flavoring might be. I'll look again.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I have no idea what the Lat content of WF is but it tastes to me like a half and half blend ( Commonwealth ). Again, to me 50% Lat on a good VA base is more palatable than same amount or more on a crappy Burley or VA base. YMWV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My bad, they sound like great tobaccos and are well described. There's another series of four tobaccos

that seem to be aromatics, but they're not these.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I've had a few bowls of the Spring Flake and it's rather good. Not a bad first smoke of the day at all. Not a ton of nicotine. Perfect moisture out of the tin IMO.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Wintertime had more latakia than Balkan Flake? BF is one of my favorites but its pretty heavy on Latakia....
Balkan Flake is about 30% latakia, IIRC. Navy Flake is lighter on the latakia.

Dec 24, 2012
I read on another forum that SG doesn't even make these blends - i.e. they are made by another blender for SG. This seems unlikely to me, but does anyone know?

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
The formula at least is from a Czech tobacconist, but the tobaccos are made by SG to his recipe.
They're much drier than normal SG flakes but it's definitely SG base tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.