PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well I once again gave in to the urge to buy one of these sweet little vintage pipes. This one is a Ropp Vintage Briar Bulldog with a horn stem. It is a very nice looking pipe with nice grain and no fills that I can see. The horn stem has great contrasting colour striations and has a slender taper to it that suits the pipe quite nicely. The draw is smooth and open and this one passes a standard Brigham pipe cleaner with ease. I have yet to smoke this little gem but have some PS LBF drying as I type this so it won't be long before I burn some leaf in it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@jkrug- Was that the one numbered 420 on SPC? Nice pipe. I love a bulldog, and an old bulldog is even better!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks guys. First smoke was PS Luxury Bullseye Flake and the little pipe smokes quite well. Draw was good with just a slight resistance from the packed tobacco which is just the way I like it. The flavour of the tobacco came through quite nicely and I believe I could taste a hint of sweetness from the briar as well.
What number are you referring to aldecaker? I checked the invoice and don't see 420 anywhere, not in the bin # or the item #?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@jkrug- On the SPC website, after the name of the pipe, most of them have a number in parentheses. I don't know if it a shape number or what, but the bulldog with (420) after it is gone now. :(

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
That is a very nice horn-dog! Of the two vintage Ropp's I bought I'm really enjoying the small cutty the best.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Very nice pipe!
I just finished an after-lunch smoke in my Ropp Bent Bulldog. I prefer a straight pipe, especially in the Bulldog shape, but I needed the bent shape to fit a coin tray (now pipe-storage tray) in my truck.
I may very well buy more Ropps as they come available.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a very nice horn-dog!
Horn-dog! I like that. :) Thanks again guys, I can see it becoming one that I reach for often. Rob I can see myself picking up another one to as they release a few more. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
@jkrug- On the SPC website, after the name of the pipe, most of them have a number in parentheses. I don't know if it a shape number or what, but the bulldog with (420) after it is gone now.
Sorry I missed your reply. I don't have that number anywhere on my invoice or the pipe itself. The shape(?) number stamped on my pipe is 638. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really appreciate French pipes, and your horn-dog is a prime example, a beautifully refined take on the classic shape with a distinct French accent. The horn stem really gives it a distinctive look too. I have a Joh's bulldog with an ample bowl that does, in Danish style, what this does with the shape in French style. One of the pleasures of the traditional shapes is that they bring out their national "looks." That bead edge and slightly flattened bowl really make your pipe unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.