PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Trying something I thought up today, Country Style Ribs marinated THEN wrapped in :worship: BACON.

Hope they will taste as good as it sounds!!
null_zps623d916b.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Looks delicious. I agree you would have to watch those like a hawk to make sure you don't end up with a two engine fire.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Hmm... Looks like a natural gas Weber grill I used to use. You can be successful with slow-smoking your ribs, but you have to set up your grill differently. If you have the 3-burner control model, only light the front ones and place your ribs at the back; i.e., need to have an offset heat source, much like a steel smoker has the wood or charcoal in a separate fire box on one side and the meats on the other. The smoke is then channeled to drift from the firebox, where the soaked chunks/chips are placed on the coals. It travels from the firebox and up under the meat, which is placed on racks over drip pans or water pans.
A good and not expensive setup for ribs is the Weber 44-inch that allows water-smoking.
I use a New Braunfels, TX Black Diamond to smoke the racks of ribs until they turn a mahogany color from the mesquite/oak/hickory/apple/pecan smoke, then take them off and put them in a roasting pan with a little bourbon in the bottom, then tightly cover them with foil. Let sit in a 250-degree F oven for about 5 hours, and you'll have fall-off-the-bone ribs. This last step restores the moisture to the meat. (I have NOT had good luck with moist meat using the water pan setup under the meat in the smoker, so I use this, and they taste nice and smokey, and tender.)
Your setup looks more suited for grilling from what I see, but you may have a method with which you've had good success. I had good success using my Weber, making a few smoked turkeys for New Years Eve and Thanksgiving. You have to be patient - slooooowwww is best, like pipe smoking.
Anyway, there's my 2 cents... I did lots of research and got tips from people all throughout Oklahoma, Texas, North Carolina and took some elements of each person's "how-tos" on making rubs, mops, sauces, and modified them to make my own. That was part of the fun. One of them even had a suggestion for a modification of the Black Diamond that improved the funneling of the smoke to travel under the racks of ribs.
Like the tips we all get here, great and fun stuff!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Looks tasty.
I have a 22 inch weber kettle I smoke in. I like wrapping asparagus in bacon and smoking them for the last hour of whatever I'm cooking. Jalapeno peppers are tasty when suffed with cheese and bacon wrapped too. I just haven't found something I like to dip them in yet...they need a savory flavor added.
I tend to cook offset with the vents turned away from the heat so it moves the smoke across the food. Its relaxing to me, spending hours waiting, checking the temps, watching the meat slowly change form and flavor.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Definately cook over indirect heat so no flare ups, this was my first try like this and they were FANTASTIC.

My other way of making ribs is putting them in foil with apple juice and seal them and cook for a few hours then out of the foil and back on the grill (indirect heat) with a small smoker box of chips and cook another hour or so. Fall off the bone tender.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Korean rib marinades use apple juice or apple sauce. Even pear that has been grated and squeezed. Beef short ribs are nice this way. Or boneless pork ribs par-boiled so you can Finnish them on the grill quickly.
Your ribs look great! By the way! I would be glad to eat a bunch of those!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Are you sure about that? Chocolate and Bacon go together quite well. I had some chocolate bacon lollipops not that long ago and they were awesome.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Im a big fan of the country style ribs for low and slow cookin'. I made some a few weekes ago, but didnt wrap them in bacon. I rubbed them down with one of. My rib rubs, let them sit overnight. I cooked them at about 225F for just over 2hr and they were perfect. I prefer full racks but these are just as good. I smoked them with apple and cherry woods for the first 45min or so. I love BBQing. I dont care how cold it gets out I BBQ all year 'round

Status
Not open for further replies.