New Regulations for E-Cigs and...Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
Was only a matter of time before the Powers That Be started demanding their "fair share" of the $2 billion-a-year cash cow that is E-Cigs/Vaping.
What really concerns me, however, is why pipe tobacco was listed among these new regulations.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/24/health/fda-e-cigarette-regulations/
And here's the FDA site, where they're asking for comments and concerns:
http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ucm388395.htm
[EDIT: Ack! I see there's a thread over in the Tobacco Legislation forum. Repost; sorry.]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think tuold already started this thread, but the links are new. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It appears comment will be accepted from this FDA link beginning tomorrow. I would ask for

a nuanced regulation. Among other things taking into account the role of pipe smoking in

getting many to quit cigarettes. Also, consideration of the role pipe smoking plays in promoting

healthy sociability among men in retirement, and also its function as an interest/hobby for men

of that age. Perhaps "corny," but broad enough to tug the sleeve of public health administrators,

maybe. Maybe.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I actually started wording my rebuttal this morning. That said, I found it difficult to formulate an argument since they're being rather opaque about what exactly they're changing.
It sounds like pipe tobacco blends would be subject to the same registration requirements as e-cigs. (Registration of all ingredients and an FDA approval for safety.) If that's true, I can see the smaller companies having an even harder time in creating new blends. Particularly if they have to wait God-knows-how-long for FDA approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.