PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hi Everyone
Last week the NYC pipe club met in Soho and as I mentioned on the 'pipe club' forum I met some great people and tried different tobaccos that would have taken me quite a while to accumulate.

I also had asked members about Rad Davis' pipes, highly recommended by Cigarmaster as a fine pipe. Anyone I spoke to at the club who knew of Rad's pipes totally agreed-buy one!

Well, turns out that Chris from Ibriar.com was off in a corner selling Rad's and other artisan makes and I wouldn't have seen/heard him with the din going on there - if it wasn't for another member who knew I was looking for a pipe I wouldn't have been able to acquire this one.
My experience with pipe brands are Peterson's (from 40 years ago) and now dunhill, all bends and polished. Rad's is a blasted finish and just a minor bend and clearly different. I really appreciate the dunhills; Rad's pipe may take some time to get used to. According to Harris, they are freer smoking and require different packing techniques; I will reserve judgement until I give it a fair trial.
So, here is the pipe: forgive my poor pictures with the iphone camera and poor lighting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bjv3ervc41cqoc/IMG_0007.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfz9t76sodo20f1/IMG_0009.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sox614tzxzctzoy/IMG_0010.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7exmrj22834tzh4/IMG_0012.JPG
Allan

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, great looking Rad, I have one almost exactly the same. Mine is a flake smoking machine that I dedicate to Vaper flakes. So mine sees Escudo, Solani 633, SG St James Flake and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls exclusively. That is a Dublin variant which has a conical bowl, and I have found that for me, Dublins smoke flakes beautifully. Congrats on your first Rad, once you get used to it I think you will see why Rad Davis pipes are as popular as they are.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. Rad's pipes sell out fast. Normally by the time I receive an email from Rad stating new pipes have been added to his website they have already been sold when I open up the website link.

Aug 14, 2012
Harris says that Rads smoke freer. That is because the draft hole is wider. They clean better if you use Longs wider (orange label) pipecleaners.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Thanks all for the good wishes.
This aftenoon, on the phone with Harris, I packed the new Rad tighter than I was used to with the Dunhills and found the smoke to be...in word....EXCELLENT!!
What a difference the packing made. Yes, many of the experienced know that the draw on a pipe should be like drinking out of a straw, but I've been so used to packing my pipes one way, I just didn't realize that each pipe or fill can differ each time you do it...
I can see now that this pipe will be a favorite of mine, despite the sandblasted finish and it not being 'bent'.
Thank you for all of your advice, Harris and to this forum.

Allan

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Can you explain the unique packing method involved? I have a couple of large pipe with very open draft holes that I have trouble smoking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rhogg, you just need to pack whatever blend you are using tighter. Fill it to the top then gently push it down to about halfway, do it again till it is to the top with a little more pressure, then put more in using even more pressure and then do it again using more pressure. At each level check the draw, the first should have no resistance, the second only a tiny bit, the third a little more and the fourth it should feel like sipping through a straw with some decent resistance. Make sure your tobacco is dry enough. I have found that a large airway pipe smokes much better when you have a tighter pack. You will need to play around with it until you get the feel for it. Let us know how you make out. I think many people pack too loosely which leads to a hotter smoke that is difficult to keep lit.
Also, make sure you are packing it in around the sides at each level.
peckinpahhombre, you should start a thread showing us your Rad's. I love looking at his work.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Allan:

That is Rad pipe that caught my eye and I held it for quite a while before putting it down. I thought it was a lovely pipe and finish. It is also quite large, which I liked as well. I blew all my pipe money on the Comoys picked up earlier that day, so I could only admire that one. I knew it wouldn't last long, good for you!
On my Castellos, which as also very open, a very firm pack yields a great smoke. If I don't pack the bowl very tightly (twice as firm as my British made pipes), they whistle and don't let the tobacco smoulder properly. I'm guessing your Rad will need the same firm touch. Enjoy getting to know her!

Status
Not open for further replies.