Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Ok, so I got my pipe kit in today, it has a wide broad stem in it, so I am thinking something along the lines of a bulldog?
Does anyone have any plans on how one goes about this. I am the type takes 7 days to plan a 1 day job lol.
Richard

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Same here. One if these days I want to try my hand at making a pipe too. Good luck, and if you feel like it, I'd be interested in hearing any problems you have or things you would do differently. I don't have anyone in my area that's tried and would live to know if it's as easy as it looks..,
Good luck!

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Don't forget that the stem shape/thickness is not a foregone conclusion. Like wood, stems can be filed and sanded to whatever shape you like. I'm not suggesting that you should necessarily try to completely re-shape your stem, but if it's a little too wide for you, some file work will quickly narrow it down.
A bulldog is a lovely shape. It's also challenging. Since this is a kit, I'm guessing you don't have a lathe? The bowls are typically done on a lathe, and while it's probably possible to do it freehand, it seems like quite a job. I've never tried making one, myself, though I've tried making other round shapes freehand. Good luck with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no pipe carver, so I'm just repeating what others on Forums have said, but one idea that seemed logical

is using a power tool like a dremel to do the initial shaping. Since most beginners don't have a lathe, I guess

you'd need a vise to hold the briar in place, and move it from time to time to get to the various sides. I think

a bulldog would be really demanding and maybe frustrating for a first project, since you have to shape on so

many different planes. Maybe a Rhodesian variation would match the stem without asking quite so much

carving technique, and it might allow some fudging when you don't get just the shape you want at first. Okay,

enough of my armchair theory. Back to the folks who have actually done this.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'd say go for it, first draw a pic on the wood to get an idea of the shape you want to go for. I also do sketches on paper to help me think about proportions. Trade the block even to help with that. If you have a dremel that is a good tool to use for shaping. But you need to be prepared to change out the sanding cylinders as they will get to hot and either pop off or melt to the rubber dowel. Briar is very hard and thus is hard on tools. Also get some 320 grit or around there. Once you get your shape close start sanding by hand and work up to finer grits. If you want to see a pipe go through the steps look at some of my projects on Facebook.com/ThePipery. I take pics of the pipes from block to finished pipe. And I use a dremel and various sanders. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.