PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Hey folks, hope y'all are having a good afternoon.
Got a couple of new Petersons at a promotion event from my local B&M. I'm considering sanding the bowl coatings to bare briar on them. I've seen some commentary on dip-staining of new pipes (including Petersons) causing a foul taste for a number of bowls until the cake is built up.
What do you think? Any truth to this, and do any of you sand off the coatings?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Not sure if the dip stain will be an issue if there is a bowl coating on it. I leave all my bowl coatings on, seems to build cake much faster that way and then I really don't need to work about burning the bowl. Just my opinion.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Never sanded any of my new pipes including petersons and they were fine. Just load up and smoke! :D

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I know some people hate bowl coatings, and some people could care less. The only thing you'll need to take into account, if you remove the bowl coating you void any warranty. So make sure you 100% want to keep the pipe before making any adjustments.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks guys, fair enough responses. I'm probably over-thinking things, it's what I do.
"Just shut up 'n smoke, Alan!" :)

Aug 14, 2012
You can remove the stain inside the draft hole with pipecleaners dipped in strong spirits. Same if the inside of the bowl is stained. If it is precarbonized, just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.