PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
eurpipeam.jpg

eurpipeamback.jpg

Just found one of these at the Vancouver Flea Market and got it for $20. There was no case with it though.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
You lucky SOB. I have been looking for a bargain on one of these....normally about $60-$75

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
It is a Laguiole! I couldn't believe it but the cheapest price I've seen for it used online is around $160 so I would say I got an unbelievable deal.

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
That is such a sweet pipe tool, what a find!
Actually there are quite a lot of forges which may brand their products with the Laguiole label. One of the top ones is "Fontenille Pataud", and they usually command a price around 150 to 300 Euros, with lesser ones being "en Aubrac" or "La Fidele".
Then again, I'd always opt for one of the cheaper ones as well, because blade steel quality shouldn't be such an issue with a pipe tool.
Again, very well done!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Actually there are quite a lot of forges which may brand their products with the Laguiole label.

A bold statement sir! But where, where I ask is your proof?

hehe (-;
Really, that got me curious so I had to do the google thing. Love this kinda schtuff.
From La Ferme de la Mer
1.3 CONFUSION AND KNOCK_OFFS, THE PRICE OF SUCCESS
Unfortunately, the fame of the Laguiole knife comes with confusion and misunderstanding concerning the product. In the mind of many, “Laguiole” is one single company that produces all the many knives, and they usually believe that the “bee” (decorative detail on the knife’s spring) guaranties the authenticity of a true Laguiole knife. In reality, “Laguiole”, apart from being the name of a village in Aveyron and of a cheese, is just the generic name of a folding knife. Besides, the name has never been patented nor protected in any way. As a result of this lack of legal protection and of the marketing appeal of the name, low quality knock offs are flooding the market. There are two main sites of production, the city of Thiers-French cutlery capital- where a total of about 70-80 companies produce Laguiole knives (craftsmen and industrials) and the village of Laguiole in Aveyron, where a handful of smiths and craftsmen produce the knives. This is where the original Calmels shop (owned by G. Arbalete David, is located.

And now we know ... the rest of the story (-:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Genuine or not, the knife looks fit for its purpose, and at a great price. Lucky find!

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
@OTD
It is a little confusing, indeed. But I recently did some research on which producer has a decent price/performance ratio with these knives, because we gifted my father a Laguiole Sommelier for his birthday.
Now I am only hoping that my girlfriend payed attention when I remarked that a Laguiole knife would be a perfect for cutting my plug tobaccos. I guess this Christmas will show whether I was being too subtle and if I'll have to keep using my crappy old Victorinox...

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Not questioning the authenticity of the knife rigmedic.

Up til now I was amongst the many that thought of Laguiole as a specific brand. But as vroom alluded to there are several forges that produce the Laguiole "style" of folding knife. and then there are the textiles and cheeses and...
The wiki for Laguiole is interesting as well.

The word laguiole is a generic term, not legally restricted to any one company or place of manufacture...
The ancestor of the laguiole is most likely the Arabo-Hispanic clasp knife of Andalusian Spain, the navaja. Migrations of men, particularly shepherds and cattle herders, between Catalan Spain and southern France in summer and winter introduced the navaja to Aveyron. The Arabo-Hispanic design of the navaja was merged with that of local folding knives represented by older patterns such as the Capuchadou; the result became the laguiole. The laguiole was first designed in 1829 by Jean-Pierre Calmels...
@vroom

Myself, I'm using an old boning knife for my plugs, ropes. I keep it sharp, it works well but I'd like to replace it with an Alaskan Ulu style someday.

Or a $20 flea market steal! (-:

Status
Not open for further replies.