PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2009
I'm still kind of new to pipes. I bought my first brand new pipe (Savanelli Qandale)not too long ago, and I'm breaking it in with 1/3 bowls. (only cobs and cheap estates before this one) Is it normal for the new pipe smell to overpower the tobacco? I'm dedicating this pipe to SG FVF, and right now, I'm not really liking the way it tastes in this pipe. Of course I've only smoked three 1/3 bowls in it so far, but when will it start to taste like my other va pipe?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's interesting. I have bought several new pipes in recent months, including two Savinelli and others that have the raw wood on the inside of the bowl and have not experienced this problem.
I always taste the tobacco.
However, I have not followed the practice of not filling the pipe all the way. I know it is said this is a good way to break it in by building up an even cake. You mention 1/3 of a bowl. I have heard of doing 1/4 of a bowl for a while and adding the same amount more over time until you're doing full bowls.
It sounds like a neat idea, I just haven't done it and I have never tasted the wood.
Another practice that I have tried for building up cake is rubbing some honey inside the bowl. The little pamphlet that comes with new Dunhills even suggest this.
I did it once on several pipes, but it seemed to make them smoke hotter and gurgle, so I stopped doing it.

May 24, 2009
Could it taste different because of other tobaccos smoked in the pipe? I've had the other pipe dedicated to Va's for a long while, but before that I would smoke anything in it. I would think all ghosting would be gone by now.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Once you build up a cake in the bowl, you should start tasting more of the tobacco. If you are tasting a burning wood taste, you are smoking too fast during the break in. You should never taste a burning wood taste. Also, you should never break in a pipe outdoors. The wind will cause the pipe to burn hot and this is very bad during the breaking in period.

Status
Not open for further replies.