PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello, pipers!
Giving up cigarettes and I am on day three! The pipe has really helped stave-off the worst of my cravings, but I have noticed some particularly nasty tooth marks on my stems. haha
I have the soft bit-covers, but they do not seem to like some of my pipes, so I have kind of made peace with owning some dinged-up pipes. Is there a way to buy replacement stems for the more basic pipe models or are they all handmade?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you're using cobs, those stems are 'chewy' in the first place. I have gnawed a few into ALMOST unusable condition, but replacements are inexpensive.

I think that as you become more familiar with smoking a pipe, you will become less of a 'biter' and more at home with a clench.

3 days is a good start and I wish you all the enjoyment you require to make it permanent as far as quitting ciggies.

I think former cig smokers might do better with non aromatic tobaccos that have a nice high nicotine level.

A well established 'codger' burly got me started, but there are some excellent bulk blends too.

Read these forums and you will educate yourself to one of the more satisfying tobacco rituals known to man.

It takes awhile to become proficient, but the practice is fun, too.

Good luck!

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Depending on what material the stem is made out of, you might be able to just use a heat gun or blow dryer on it in order to get the bite marks out. Just hold the affected area a few inches away from the heat source. Keep turning the stem so the heat isn't concentrated onto one spot for to long. Do this carefully so you don't end up burning the stem. If your stem is vucanite or the like, the bite marks should just pop out. This absolutely will NOT work on acrylic stems.

I understand that you might want to just buy new stems. But if you're feeling like you want to try a simple fix, applying heat is a good option that might work. Just very be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.