PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

i550r

Lurker
Sep 17, 2018
Hello everyone,
It's my first post here, I guess I'll start a new thread to introduce myself in the appropriate section.

I would really appreciate your opinion on what to do regarding this imperfection I noticed on my new pipe.
Today I received a Savinelli 614 Roma Lucite I've ordered from a tobacconist online. Immediately after opening the box I noticed a significant twist in the stem, as you can hopefully see from the image below.
Is this a common issue or is it something worth writing about to the tobacconist?

I own several other pipes, none of which have this problem, even though all of them are made by less renowned manufacturers.

I guess it won't have an impact on the functionality of the pipe, but to be honest I didn't expect such imperfections from Savinelli.
6aTTdkX.jpg

Thanks in advance!
i550r

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you're dissatisfied, send it back.
My understanding is that lucite is shaped with heat and that later heat exposure causes it to try to "go straight" again.
Maybe a bad day at the factory or maybe exposed to heat along the way?
Either way, make yourself happy. If you are going to be annoyed every time you smoke it, it's not worth keeping it. Or, if you're a flexible fellow aesthetically, send the seller the photo and ask what they will do. They may offer a swap, or an upgrade or a killer discount.
Nice looking pipe, though, from the google pics of that model. Welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

i550r

Lurker
Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion and the welcome Jay. You're right about that, it's better I contact them.

Apart from that, it is a beautiful pipe indeed, can't wait to try it! Here's a better photo.
m9rN2x7.jpg

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I would contact the vendor, in my opinion that is not acceptable.
I once purchased a new high end Castello (Collection) and sent it back due to poor drilling. They all make mistakes occasionally.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Urk. I've seen stem imperfections, but never anything like that. YIKES!
BTW, welcome, i550! Glad to have you here! Drop a note telling us a little about yourself in the introductions forum!
Bill

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You could also contact the seller with the photo, and suggest you try to straighten it with hot water, but with their back up of a new stem or pipe in case it fails....
And, yes, nice looker!

i550r

Lurker
Sep 17, 2018
Thank you everyone for the advice, the consensus is clear :)

I was considering trying to straighten it up myself, but didn't want to risk it with my newest and best pipe.
I'm only sad to have to return it because this was the last pipe of this model the seller had. It means I won't be getting a replacement for a while...

i550r

Lurker
Sep 17, 2018
Well, this thread has reached its conclusion. I couldn't resist anymore, I like the pipe too much and decided to embrace the imperfection :P I started breaking it in with a nice half-bowl of Dunhill EMP.

All I have to say is that it's an amazing smoker and the most comfortable pipe I own (I bought it specifically for writing).

I might consider fixing the stem sometime in the future, who knows...
Thanks again to everyone, and I'm sorry to have ignored your expert advice in the end, I admit my weakness :oops:

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Practice on some junkers first, then fix it. That would take 5 minutes to fix without damage. I'd use a heat gun, but I've done this maybe 5 times. It's easy to do. Don't forget to stuff the air hole with cleaners, and keep the heat gun moving. Go slow and you will be fine.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm going to offer a bit of a dissenting opinion, at least as a view to consider. I've got a large bent billiard "Mountbatten" which was either a Charatan second, or made by Charatan apprentices. The drilling of the briar is perfect, but the stem is quite crooked. It is a fantastic smoker, and one of my favorite pipes for English blends. The crookedness of the stem is not bothersome at all. Of course, the Mountbatten is a $20.00 estate pipe, and it's fair to hold a brand new (non-seconds) pipe of any make to a higher standard. If it's a good smoker though, then you made the right call in keeping it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One of my Stanwell straight bulldogs (Shape 32) has the button and slot clocked about the same as yours, maybe a little more. It turned out to be a happy accident, because I really like the way it sits when clenching, and wouldn't want to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.