PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I wanted a small pipe for my lunch break.

I didn't yet have a saddle stem pipe, so good.

And it's my first meerschaum.
It only cost $20 including shipping, so I guess that's actually 4 things good about the pipe.
I just ordered a mini pipe from AND Meerschaum. So I'm looking forward to testing the meerschaum experience before buying some gaudy expensive thing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I hope it isn't too small. Some of those mini meerschaums look pretty tiny to me: more of a "keychain" pipe than a

practical smoker. Even if the capacity is just what you need, the short, short shank and stem could make for

a pretty hot smoke stream (read burnt tongue!) Here's a website that sells the mini meers -- they're only 4½" long.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
If those pipes that cortez linked are the ones that you purchased, I wish you the best of luck. I used to work at a tobacconist, and the only people that bought those pipes were marijuana smokers who enjoyed the aesthetic. Almost all the pipes we received from the distributor came with extremely lose and ill-drilled stems, not to mention the shoddy construction that most of the bowls had. But hey, you might get a diamond in the rough.
Happy puffin,

pipenscotch

curl

Apr 29, 2014
http://www.meerschaum.com/Classic-Mini.aspx?Page=1

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I considered the mini corncob pipe, but I already have a bunch of cob pipes. And it seems the meerschaum's bowl size is about the same as the Missouri meerschaum mini...at only 7 times the price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Please smoke it for a while and then do another post to tell us how it is as a pipe. It looks fine, if the

Meerschaum is durable and the stem is good material, but at that price, it could be great or it could

be not so good. With lower end pipes, it is always an adventure -- there are fabulous pipes several

hundred percent below their price point quality, and others that practically leap into the waste basket.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
It's a toy.

I'm glad I only wasted $20.
Since it's dimensions are about the same as a MM mini, it seems I wouldn't like it either.
Methinks the way to have a short smoke is to put just a little tobacco in a pipe.

Maybe someday I'll find a regular pipe but with a churchwarden sized bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
curl, Iwan Ries carries the EWA line of pipes, all with very small bowls. I have a little churchwarden that

is about ten inches, but you can get them at seven, and they are decent French pipes that just might fill

the bill for you, and they are reasonably priced. Iwan Ries Exclusives, the house pipes, used to include

compact pipes. These have disappeared from the online site, but I understand they are still available at

the store, so you might order one of those with a phone call. Their little bent billiard is a treasure, one of

the few fully bent pipes that takes a pipe cleaner right through to the bowl, and is a fine little smoker.

If none of these ring your chimes, I know you can find a good, small briar pipe that will be just right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One note on the EWA pipes: The long stemmed green churchwarden is a fine pipe, and I enjoy it from time to

time, but the stamp includes the word "Lady's." I guess it was intended to be marketed as a pipe for women.

Smokes great, and it "don't make me no never mind," as they say in the south. My younger sister wouldn't like

it because she hates the designation "lady" on feminist grounds. I doubt any of the other pipes are so labeled,

but if it would bother you, avoid that one. It smokes fine, and the surprise stamp just made me laugh. I guess

I'm crossdressing with the pipe, if you have really good eyesight.

Aug 1, 2012
If you want a serious pipe that is a really tiny bowl, go with a Tsuge tankard, metal blowfish or thunderstorm. To give an idea of how small they are, a standard tamper, and even a brebbia tamper, are too small to fit in the bowl of my metal blowfish. It is a serious pipe for a 5-15 minute smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tsuges are fine pipes, but they are not inexpensive. Since we're trying to replace a $20 pipe here, I've stuck to the

thrifty side of the price scale. Another good small bowl is the Peterson Belgique, but we're talking $60 to $80,

probably more like $80.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I did notice that Iwan Ries indicates a Group number for all their pipes. After my experience with the mini meerschaum, the Group 1 is too small; it burned hot for me, I guess because there's not a lot of meat on the pipe.
I found a good discussion on small pipes here....
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/best-use-of-a-small-bowl#post-630968
Apparently what I want is a Group 2 fat bob about 5 inches long that I fill up only half way...shouldn't be a problem finding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.