Tags:   

New Pipe Smokers/Young Pipe Smokers

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by getysburg1
  • Latest reply from getysburg1
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

getysburg1

Login to Send PM

Hello there, I just made a profile on this site a few minutes ago. Last night I order two pipes for myself and my brother. Capri Gozzo 42 Dublin rustic for me and a Dr Grabow freehand for my brother. I also ordered several oz of various tobaccos to try out. So to get to the point I just wanted to see how many new/younger pipe smokers there are beginning their journey, and or when you started your adventure into the world of pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

Welcome, I think you will find this group very helpful. I’ve been at the pipe six years now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

Hi, welcome to the forum! I am still new to this hobby/passion myself, having only smoked a pipe for a little over a year. It was weird how I came to it, I used to smoke cigars when I was younger, and one day in 2016 I just had a craving for flavourful tobacco. I have since tried many blends, and have experienced a lot of trial and error. There is a lot to learn, that only comes with experience, I think. Enjoy your blends and let us know how it goes! Lots of helpful folks here!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum. A few thousand of your best friends are happy and willing to provide any and all assistance and advice as you begin your journey. Just remember this: there is no “best” pipe or “best” tobacco. You’re entitled to enjoy whatever it is you like.

Eric
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard! We have new members all the time, some new to pipe smoking and others with longer experience. Someone here is usually ready and willing to answer your pipe questions, and there is a lot of depth of experience in different pipe-related subjects, from carving to history to pipe tobacco blending and more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, welcome! I started when I was around 20 years old. That was in the middle of the last century.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome - I had been a cigar smoker for 25-30yrs, still enjoy a good cigar from time to time. I had tried this hobby back in my early 20s, but for me back in the day and having no patience and poor tech I had failed and drifted away for 20yrs. I'm happy to say I'm back with more patience - remember to slow down, enjoy the smoke. It took me a good 6-8 months to get it right, lots of failures but to quote Yoda "The greatest teacher, failure is.", hehe.. so enjoy the journey as others have said no "best" pipe or "best" tobacco - just what "You" enjoy

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum!

Despite what the stereotype is, pipe smoking is and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. There is a veritable wealth of information and knowledge here. You will definitely be overwhelmed. But ask as many questions as you want. Everyone here is happy to help you out on the road!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Welcome. I started very haphazardly about 10 years ago, stuck with it for about 3 months and then moved on. I wasn't patient enough to get the results I wanted.

I've returned to smoking for the past couple of years now, with a newfound mindset for the joys that smoking a pipe bring to my life.

Although I still feel the steep learning curve, I'm ok with the fact that the adventure getting to one's destination is just as rewarding as the destination itself. Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum getysburg1. But pay no attention to what the majority of this group tells you...including me.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the group!
    I started smoking a pipe 5 years ago, I didn't have a mentor to give me advice or show me what I was doing wrong/right, so I just hung out here reading posts and learning, these guys all became my mentors.
    I learned a lot that first year, just hanging out and reading on this forum.
    Whatever your question (about pipes and tobacco), this forum is a wealth of information, the answers are all here.
    If you stay long enough you may learn other things too.
    Good luck my friend!

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the site. I began my pipe journey in 1997 because one of my cigar buddies wouldn't stop bugging me that I had to try it. I am glad I did. You are going to need a lot of patience. I have smoked tobacco in every form and pipes have a large learning curve. Ask as many questions as you need to and don't give up if you fry your mouth and your tongue. I would recommend getting a bottle of Biotene mouth wash. It will help with the burn and the dry mouth. Use it after every bowl and before you go to bed. Good luck in your journey.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. Everybody has to start sometime. Around 1980, when I first started, I had two close friends who helped me with the basics, and some very knowledgeable and helpful shop owners and staff. Back in the old days, patience was considered to be a personality trait of pipe smokers. The best advice is still to be patient.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes welcome to the PM Forum. After 55 years of pipe smoking, I still pick up valuable information here. In the 60s, it was learn by trial and error. Happy puffing.

LRT

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard. Stay close and you’re sure to get TAD and PAD from this group but also some great insight to smoking a pipe. Welcome.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

you’re sure to get TAD and PAD from this group

TAD = Tobacco Acquisition Disorder (having a lot of tins hoarded away)
    PAD = Pipe Acquisition Disorder (same as above, but with pipes)

serious ailments not to be taken lightly!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello, and welcome! I'm no spring chicken anymore, but I smoked pipes 20 years ago and gave it up. I'm not sure why! I picked it back up a few years ago. This site and its members have been very helpful! Stick with it, it's worth the effort of learning!

Tim

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been saying that I've been smoking for a couple of years for quite a while. But, I just did the math, and I quit cigarettes altogether and have been smoking pipes for almost seven years, most of them years on here gabbing with the boys. It's a great resource and virtual smoking lounge. Fire up a bowl, log in, delve into some neat pipe or tobacco history or lore, or just enjoy the show.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome.........

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Getysburg. I'm always happy to see new members.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. pandapiper

pandapiper

Login to Send PM

Yes, I just started smoking late last year... so still have very much to learn. Like yourself I started out with buying a bunch of samples and having fun just working out what I like and what I don't. Any I didn't care for got jarred and I'll revisit them when I'm a little more seasoned. Although I only signed up yesterday, I've been following the forums here since I got started.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Welcome to this forum and the world of pipe smokers. You couldn't even begin to know how lucky you are. I've been smoking pipes, on and off, since I was 16 years old, back in 1966. Yep, the olden days to you. Back then, there were no computers, and very few places to find out answers to basic smoking questions regarding piping. If your dad or uncles didn't smoke a pipe, you had to figure out things for yourself. Today, you can ask questions on specialized forums, and use your computer/phones to buy tobaccos and other pipe-ish things with just a the little click. Bingo!....and it's delivered to your doorstep in a few days.

Take advantage of the all knowledge you'll get by asking questions on this forum. The guys here will help you get your head straight. Don't be shy about asking. We all did things for the first time, once.

Most of all, enjoy and savor the long learning curve. It takes a little effort to smoke a pipe. The whole ritual is fun also. Because you chose to smoke a pipe you will get many questions from friends and other guys your age. Become a great ambassador of the pipe. Aromatic blends invite curiosity by its aroma, and will please most men and women who sniff your smoke. I never met the woman who didn't like aromatic pipe smoke. Try smoking some of these blends in social occasions. Be ready to answer questions about piping.

Good luck, and have fun.

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

You have chosen a wonderful hobby religion! I recommend trying to find a local pipe club. There's a place on this forum dedicated to just that. Pipe clubs are great places to meet new people, try new blends, gawk at other people's pipes and brag about your own, and learn the subtle art of pipe smoking. Enjoy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard. I was 18 when I first smoked a pipe, many years ago. Although one can't walk into a corner drugstore any more and find several dozen brands of pipe tobacco available, and even larger selection is available through online shopping.
    Be patient. And smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford. It will increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We tend to 'overlook' the camaraderie factor right here on the forums.
    I credit this forum with a high percentage of my first few years enjoyment of this pastime.
    I've interacted with people I would never have heard of, and who have been generous with their considerations.
    I hope to make it to one of the shows sometime to meet some of these folks face to face.
    A pipe show is one part of 'the experience' I have yet to achieve.
    Enjoy yourself, and it sounds like you've got a good idea about how to start!
    I tried smoking a pipe more than once when I was young and stupid. Never got the hang of it till I retired and turned to the pipe to eliminate using papers for my roll your own tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum!

I'm neither new to pipesmoking, nor young (except in heart), so I have nothing more to contribute to this thread. Carry on.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am new to the site and the pipe . I started this christmas

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome in.
    I was a cigarette smoker for 25 years. When I quit, I decided to try pipesmoking because I had an idea that it might be more interesting and more controllable. Which turned out to be true but with the twist, that even if pipesmoking is easier to control than cigarettesmoking, it still ends up taking at least as much time.
    I have been piping for 9-10 months now and I am in love with it. The forum is great. Lots of knowledge for us beginners.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Sir,You'll find here lots of knowledge thats one is for sure,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being that i am new to pipe smoking , I have only tried 2 tobacco's. The first being Half/Half, which was ok . But then i was given a tin of Dunhill Navy flake....and i am in love! I have read a lot about straight Virginia tobacco's, and i am looking for suggestions on other Virginia blends and also looking for advice on other types of tobacco. I know that i like the different flavors that i get When smoking non- aromatics but i am not opposed to trying aromatics as-well. However i do think i am leaning toward full flavor tobacco's. Any advice is appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I was 17 when I started back in 1991. Man , 27 years. Where did that go?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smittyd, you should pose your question on a new thread. More likely to get any answers that way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

K thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome! Yes, OP: Are you into flakes, coins, rope or some other specific cut?

BTW,

@chasingembers and @jpmcwjr :::> Your respective ages surprise me a bit, as I thought CE would be more my age (mid-50s) and that jpmcwjr would be in his 60s.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Yep, I'll be 44 at the end of this month.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

getysburg1

Login to Send PM

Well thanks folks for all the replys and warm welcomes, folks, I appreciate it. I had a little difficulty remembering my passwords and all that to sign in so it took me a bit to get back on this thread. Well a small update on my progress into the pipe world, today I smoked two bowls, one of LL black Raspberry and one of LL 1Q. Both really good but the first bowl, black raspberry,was a little disappointing but only because cigars have so much flavor I was expecting that. But the second bowl, a few hours later, was really really tasty. Once again I really appreciate all the good wishes and advise. To answer @thomasw, I haven't tried enough yet to tell. I know that the lane 1Q packed and seemed to smoke better than the black Raspberry. Possibly just because it's a little more wet. Thanks again people, I'm glad to be a member of the community.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, ben88, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, loadclear, loneredtree, lochinvar, donjgiles, mikefu