PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apocrisiarius

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
I'm pretty new to pipe smoking but so far I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of it and smoking far fewer cigarettes which is a major plus. I'm also enjoying the online pipe community which seems like a nice place to hang-out while smoking of an evening.
So far I have not invested a lot in pipes - mostly I keep an eye on Ebay for estate pipes and make a few bids. Places like this forum are a great resource for researching what you're bidding on. I don't bid any higher than I'm willing to loose if it turns out that the pipe is no good.
Anyway I bought this pipe today in an antique shop in Dublin. It was 25 euros and looks unsmoked, so I though I'd take a punt. It appears to have a Peterson type P-lip but neither the pipe nor the stem has any markings so possibly/probably not a Peterson. The case, pouch and spare stem were thrown in with the pipe.
Link to imgur album
I though I'd share my haul and see if anyone has any idea about the maker or origin. Long-shot I'd imagine given the lack of markings,

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
While it doesnt seem like an estate, my two Peterson meers had the logo buffed off the stem.
I like it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome!
Not sure about the pipe, the stem seems like an odd fit. With no markings, possibly an unsmoked Irish Second? I have one, and it's a great pipe.

apocrisiarius

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Plateauguy I hadn't though of that but it makes sense. It could be a Peterson's second which would explain the lack of markings. There is a very slight (cosmetic) unevenness on the bowl about the size of a pin head, might not even be visible in the pics, which could be why it was rejected. Might also explain why the stem doesn't seem to quite fit with the aesthetic of the pipe (while fitting perfectly to the shank)
I like it though. Something nice about a pipe you have rescued from the shelf of a dusty antique/curio shop and given a new lease of life. I can see why people refurbish estate pipes, not just about making a profit.

apocrisiarius

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Actually only one of the stems fits the pipe (the one which is attached in the pictures) the other is too large for the stem. This other one appears to have been used at some point but not abused.
I tried googling 'bdc' but that got me nowhere, so I'll have to ask....
What does bdc mean? :oops:

hitman

Lurker
Aug 3, 2014
My guess is bdc means "bottom dead center."
Meers are intriguing. Nice find.
-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.