PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2014
Ok, I will start by asking you to bare with me as I fumble around trying to describe what I am asking for. I'm brand new to pipe smoking and don't have a local store that I can just go browse and figure out what the blends I am looking for.
I'm looking for suggestions of quality tobacco aromatic that has what I call the "traditional pipe tobacco smell", like I remember the old guys smoking when I was a kid.
My first tobacco I bought was in a glass jar and labelled "Irish Mist". No idea of the brand or the blend. It has that scent that I am looking for. But the quality isn't all that great. Not terrible, but it definitely has room to be better.
I got a couple of tins of Drew estate and a tin of Sultliff aros yesterday. They are a much better quality of tobacco, and the Drew Estate smoked very well. However the scents have an almost sickly sweet flavor, and fruitiness to them. I know I will enjoy them, but I would like to find something with the more "musky" (?) smell of the Irish Mist I have now. My buddy has a blend from the same shop called "highland mist" that is in the same vein.
Can anyone help me with some recommendations for quality stuff that has similar flavorings?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would check out some of the OTC blends like Captain Black, Carter Hall, Prince Albert etc. Those will probably be what you're looking for as most grandpa's just swung in a local CVS (which they can't do anymore, piss off CVS lol) and grabbed a pouch of on the way home from work.
I'd also suggest trying out either Lane's 1Q or RLP-6. Solid aros that aren't fruity. Good quality leaf with a nice light top dressing that you can puff on all day long.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Try:
  • Lane 1-Q

Captain Black, any color pouch except red (Captain Black Cherry is ungood)

Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half

Lane HGL (English/Latakia)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm looking for suggestions of quality tobacco aromatic that has what I call the "traditional pipe tobacco smell", like I remember the old guys smoking when I was a kid.
Well, more likely than not it wouldn't be an aromatic. It would be more in the genre of OTC tobaccos such as Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Granger, Half & Half, etc.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
+1 phil67, but lane HGL might be something you would want to look into.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I think McClelland's 'Deep Hollow' is right down your alley. It's been described as both aromatic AND non-aromatic and has a very nice low musky tin note. :puffy:
edit...plus it's very mild

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
The RLP-6 is a good suggestion.

The taste and aroma of macbaren original choice and seven seas black are very good.

Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic has a good aroma and so did sugar barrel which was sadly discontinued.

-Tim

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Call Carole at Pipeworks & Wilke. Tell her what you're after. Let her blend it for you.
Other than that, Sir Walter Raleigh has what I would consider the most "grand dad's pipe" scent among the OTCs.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ Once again an OTC recommendation. Of course it all depends on how old the OP is in reference to the 'old guy's when I was a kid'. If you're somewhat up in your years and being a 'kid' 60+ years ago, as I am, he was more likely than not smoking an OTC tobacco. If you are only talking about about 40 or so years ago it might have been an aromatic, but again, it is probably an OTC that you are in search of.

Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for the info everyone. I will check some of the OTC stuff, and some of the Lane stiff as well since it all appears fairly inexpensive.
After a little research I found Irish Mist is an actual aromatic flavor. Is there a quality brand that makes this flavor?
And as far as my age, I'm 35... so 30 years ago I was kid?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Captain Black can be a goopy mess for a new smoker imo. Try 1-Q instead. I actually bought 1-Q and Captain Black as my first two baccy's and I never finished the Captain Black. The 1-Q went on to over 8oz smoked that first year.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well, if you are only 35 that is a whole different story. It might very well have been some aromatic that you are searching for and there are a multitude of them. Other than that, I'm not one to be of much help as I no longer smoke them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The problem is that your memory is based on room note, how the old guys' pipe smoke smelled

to you when you were not a pipe smoker, and maybe a very young person besides. Once you get

on the other end of the pipe, the combined taste and smell may give a decisively different experience.

All of the suggestions so far have been good ones. Other good aromatic experiences for you might

include another Lanes aromatic, LL-7, which is a little sweeter than 1Q but still mild and good-smelling;

Altadis bulk "Queen Anne's Revenge" which is Virginia/burley/Cavendish and rum flavor which has a

pleasing room note; and a great favorite of Forums member jiminks, Edward G. Robinson which is a

tasty old-timey tinned aromatic. It costs a little more, but not a whole lot, and might be perfect.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
btw I believe that LJ Peretti has a blend called Irish Mist - sorry I missed that part of your intro.

Status
Not open for further replies.