PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy820

Lurker
Jul 17, 2012
Hello, im a fairly new pipe smoker and have been trying different aromatics and a few english or latakia blends.

however i find myself ordering tobacco to see if i enjoy it and not being very satisfyed with a blend. is there any place that you can purchase sampler packs from at a decent price? that way i can start to discover a blend i would reguarly smoke. Also ive been debating over what brand of pipe i should purchase next, i currently own only dr grabows and one cob pipe. please feel free to comment and as allways happy pipe smoking!!

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, so I don't know much, but my next pipe will likely be a Savinelli. They have pipes from $40 up into the hundreds of dollars. I'm probably going with a $55 pipe.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Both rig medic and guitarguy86 are right on the money. Check out the SAMPLERS at P&C. I personally have never gotten a sampler from them, but their customer service is outstanding and I would recommend them to anyone. C&D also makes a sampler but it costs a bit more.
For pipes, Savinellis, Petersons, and Stanwells are all excellent mid-range pipes. I'd go with a Sav myself, but only because the two I have are excellent smokers.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Both rig medic and guitarguy86 are right on the money. Check out the SAMPLERS at P&C. I personally have never gotten a sampler from them, but their customer service is outstanding and I would recommend them to anyone. C&D also makes a sampler but it costs a bit more.
For pipes, Savinellis, Petersons, and Stanwells are all excellent mid-range pipes. I'd go with a Sav myself, but only because the two I have are excellent smokers.
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome new guys. lordnoble's advice is wise. You can't go wrong with a Savinelli. Great bang for the buck. Good resources to learn about blends are the review pages on this site and www.tobaccoreviews.com.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Danny

Welcome to the forum.
The guys are right on. Get sampler packs from some of the site sponsors. Get a decent briar. I can vouch for P&C's and SmokingPipes.com customer service.
"Now what if I get tobacco in my samplers I don't like ?" you may ask...
Stick around long enough and you can start to trade. I purchased many a Latakia blend until I finally recognized the smokey leaf and I are not made for each other. So I started trading my open tins of Latakia's for stuff I do like, especially the VA/Per blends. That's what this forum is all about. Stick around, make friends, trade, get advice and just BS around with a bunch of fellow-pipe smokers.
Sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What to buy in a pipe depends on your budget and the state of your rotation. Maybe you could get a couple of good mid-range pipes - Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson - and a couple more cobs for a basic rotation. Then you could slowly add 1 really good handmade a year, if your finances allow such. I would lose the Grabows ASAP, however. :puffy:

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Sterling Tobacco has some pretty good tobacco choices for you to try with good descriptions, they even send you a free sample on one that you're interested in trying first before purchasing.
http://www.sterlingtobaccoco.com/

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Many of the sponsors on this site sell sampler packs.

+1. pipesandcigars.com is my personal favorite. It's where I always go to order baccy. They have a good selection of pipes, baccy, and cigars. As for pipes, Peterson, and Savinelli are good brands that have some cheaper pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. My first pipe was a Savinelli and I have not looked back. They are a great starter pipe in my opinion. I would look at the estate market and get the best pipe you can for your 55.00. You can maybe get a 150.00 -200.00 pipe for 55.00 that is in perfect condition.
I would do as advised in regards to tobacco, check out the sponsors and begin the journey.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
they even send you a free sample on one

Sorry to say, they quit doing that.

Do you have a b&m near you? They'll usually let you sniff around and try a bowl or two to see what you like.

Welcome to the forum!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Hang around other pipers for awhile. You will end up with so many free tins and ziplocs of baccys that you'll be giving them away yourself! If noting else, we are the biggest bunch of enablers in the world!

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Boswell's is very polite and their shipping is very fast. The prices are great as well.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
I've found that no matter what tobacco I'm smoking if I don't pack it right, it doesn't taste good. So before you give up on a tobacco I would suggest making sure you've gotten a good smoking session out of it. There may not be any truth to this, but to me it seems like the flavor is at it's best mid-bowl.
Also, a lot of tobacco shops that sell loose tobacco will let you have sample bowls for free before you buy it! It's pretty awesome and you usually run into some cool people as you are sampling :)

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I agree with dirtybearpipes you should give a tabocco atleast a few bowls before giving up on it.Also let your baccy dry a little before smoking I made that mistake when I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.