PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewcj3

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
Hello, I’m fairly new to smoking a pipe. I consider my cigarette tubes paper pipes until I get a decent begginer’s pipe. I own a Dr. Grabow, however, I am finding it impossible to enjoy any tobacco that I put in it. I am using my briar without a filter which leaves too much of an open draw. I did try to use their filters but I found that they do indeed mute the flavor and imparts a flavor of its own. I know that a cob pipe would be an excellent choice for a beginner. My biggest issue is not a filter vs nonfilter, my issue is the draw. Honestly, I do want to smoke nonfilter since the only “hassle” is using pipe cleaners. Does a nonfilter pipe have a tighter draw than a filtered pipe without filter? I have seen this specific question asked. If I have to use a filter, I want to use a balsam wood filter from what I have read. How many cob bowls will one filter last? Would an adapter/converter work in a cob? If so, would that create a tighter draw? I think that is all my specific questions about a pipe.
The tobacco that got me to quit inhaling so much is D&R Ramback Balkan and Ramback Gold. I never tasted tobacco that was so flavorful without chemicals, and no toppings (I don’t think that there is anyways). I inhale on occasion because I am a former cigarette smoker. I have been rolling, and stuffing tubes, for the last six years. I feel like that this tobacco would have won me over to pipes years ago. How much better can Oriental tobacco get? D&R Ramback is delicious. I’m sorry that I am rambling...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome Matthew! This is a very helpful and knowledgeable forum. That said, let me have a go at your questions:
I do want to smoke nonfilter since the only “hassle” is using pipe cleaners.
Pipe cleaners are part of the usual regimen for cleaning your pipes, whether you use a filter or not. It's a good idea to run a pipe cleaner through the stem to remove any tars and gunk that build up in there. Some use a pipe cleaner and alcohol for deeper cleaning.
Does a nonfilter pipe have a tighter draw than a filtered pipe without filter?
This depends on each pipe, but in general my filtered pipes running no filter have a much more open draw than my mom filtered ones.
If I have to use a filter, I want to use a balsam wood filter from what I have read. How many cob bowls will one filter last?
Depends on a number of things. You can get a few bowls out of a filter at least. I've never seen a filtered cob before, but I've never seen Puerto Rico either and that's a thing. My Brighams use a balsa wood type filter, and they last quite a while.
Would an adapter/converter work in a cob? If so, would that create a tighter draw?
yes, adapters are available for everything. The whole filter/non filter thing is a subject to debate around here. I have filtered pipes which I simply can't use with a filter, they are too tight. It depends what your own preferences are.
Hope this helps!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can order a 6 mm adaptor to make your Dr. Grabow a non-filter pipe. The adaptor will focus the airway but not restrict it much, and I find it focuses the flavor too. You have to try filters to see how they do, but it sounds like you prefer non-filtered pipe smoking, and actually this can make some people smoke a little less. Welcome aboard. Lots of good info and ideas on Forums.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Try a Brigham pipe. Their maple wood filter imparts no flavour, you can reuse it several times, you can wash it with running water to be able to reuse it a few more times, the draw with the filter is pretty tight, and if you take the filter out the draw isn't that open.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
The cobbs with the short bits don't use filters, why not try one of those. They have the added benefit of being the least expensive as well: Eaton, short stop, morgan.. Also the free hand and macarthur but those are on the higher end, still not that expensive. The balsa filters are good but don't really restrict the flow. Also if you get a filtered cob there are non filtered stems that can be bought seperately to make them more like a "real" pipe...

matthewcj3

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
Thank you all for the much needed information. From what I have gathered, I am going to look into getting a 6mm adapter if I can one. There is an adapter on P&C, I am not sure if that is the adapter that I want. Thanks again everyone!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokingpipes.com usually has the adaptors in packs of five, for not much, and they can be used in Savinelli, Dr. Grabow, and most pipes that use a 6 mm filter. In Dr. Grabow, I especially like the Royalton series; they cost a few dollars more, but they have good acrylic stems. The bulldog version is especially well shaped. In Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes, I like the ones that come with acrylic stems, such as the Dagner poker and the Charlie Townes Cobbler bent pipe. They cost about $24, about twice the regular cobs, but the stem will wear much better and give a better experience in my opinion. I have one of each.

matthewcj3

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
I’ve been going over the Missouri Meerschaums a lot because there are so many to choose. I saw the Cobbler, and although I like it, I am too clumsy for thatt and I know it. Can you clean the adapter to reuse them or are they a one time use?

Status
Not open for further replies.