PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Hey guys I just started the pipe hobby and am really enjoying it so far. Also love how friendly and helpful everyone is here.i was just looking for some reccomendations on some "beginner" tobaccos. I have and tried 1Q and enjoyed it along with carter hall. Really enjoyed both. As of now it have a missouri meerschaum cob and a tinder box briar for pipes. But any tips on tobaccos to try would be very helpful. I've heard good thing about rlp-6 and sugar barrel. Any tips at all will be greatly appreciated thanks!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Cool beans! Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Suggestions from members will result in financial distress.

What I'm learning is that no matter how good a blend tastes, most of us still seek new experiences to 'blend in' with the ones we've tried and keep on hand.

That being said, there really is no limit to what could be suggested.

From your list I'd suggest getting a VA flake and some Lat to try. They don't seem to be represented as of yet.

If you do try a flake, they can be tricky to use, but they deliver some nice flavor. I'd suggest you cube cut and allow to air out a bit, your first couple of flakes.

The lat blends I've tried are very distinctively tasty, cool, easy burning and can be surprisingly varied.

Virtually all pipe tobaccos share the basic identity, yet we delight in its varieties.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum! Lots of good info and help here. You've already tried my favorite tobacco-CH, but if you like burley/VA blends you might try Mac Baren Symphony.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
Awesome! Welcome to the hobby and forum! My suggestion would be to try everything you can get your hands on. There are so many different blends, and types of tobaccos to try. Buy a good amount and figure out what blend style you enjoy most. Also may be helpful to document your tastings. I have a tobacco journal that I keep blend info and tasting notes in. It has tuned into a great resource for myself. Happy Smoking!!

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Before you pack one more pipe, read. Read about technique. Read all about how to pack a pipe. I had nothing but problems with the 3-step method, and finally settled into a method that works for me every single time.
Read about sipping. I have scars on my tongue from my first week of smoking pipe. SCARS.
And, read Neil Roan's article The Thermodynamics of Pipe Smoking.
Tamp lightly, smoke slowly, and become ready for your enlightenment.

Status
Not open for further replies.