PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Hi guys, i am pretty new to the pipe and here in NZ there is not alot of choice so most things need to come from overseas. This takes a hell of along time to try sample different blends and i was hoping you guys could save me alot of time and hassle and maybe point me in the right direction.

I am currently a huge fan of Boswells aromatics i find almost every blend i have tried to have a great taste and great to smoke but i was hoping for a bit more of a nicotine hit.

Could u guys recommend something that is just as smooth and tasty without the bite but with more of a nicotine hit?

On another note i have bought a couple tins of ashtons and on first opening did not really enjoy them however after having set them aside in a jar for 2 months and trying them again i have found them to have changed completely and now find them pretty good .... is this something i should be doing with all my tobacco? opening them and giving them time to rest/breath or whatever you call it?

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
hey, welcome to the forums! most smokers begin with aromatics and a lot will stay with them forever. i, for one did this but tried a couple of Latakia blends and loved them. Stokkebye makes some great blends. i suggest Luxury Bullseye Flake or Proper English, both great smokes and a little more kick than most aromatics. this is just my 2 cents worth and hopefully its helpful to ya!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Try GL Pease Barbary Coast. It's a great bridge from aromatics to more complex blends. Still burley based. I would call it a semi-aromatic. More nic. I bet you'll love it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Oh, and regarding your second question: yes. You should definitely set tobaccos you don't like aside to try again later. Not just because drying may help, but because your tastes will likely change.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Lazybugger!
As our membership has experience with a huge assortment of tobaccos and a like number of different preferences, I can only speak to that which I know.
First: You may want to attempt to obtain Lane's 1Q. It is an inexpensive and mild but satisfying smoke. Like myself it is considered a great go to smoke. However; the nicotine kick is moderate but satisfying.

Secondly: If you are a fan of Latakia I can suggest Dunhill 965 or Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Thirdly: If you are a tobacco fan... Then you may enjoy something that is definitely off the beaten track... That being Samuel Gawith Grousemoor.

Lastly: I would suggest... Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend.

Check the links they may be of some assistance.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
thanks for the replies I will definitely go looking for those blends ... the only one I actually have is the grousmoore and its not to bad at all but I would have to be in the mood for it. I am finding I can't actually stand the taste of cigarettes anymore but I am still a nicotine fiend hence the craving . Petersons Irish flake has a huhe hit of nicotine for keeping but is a little harsh and I have not developed a taste for it ... Petersons Irish oak is not to bad but a but boring for me ... but I am the first to admit I don't know much about the tobaccoes except for what I enjoy in a pipe after a long days work ... really is a greay way to relax.

cheers for the replies I will go looking for a place with reliable cheap shipping to new Zealand

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Just read an article by Russ Ouellette, and he mentioned Steamroller being a strong English.

Here is a link with a description of the blend...
http://pipesandcigars.com/hehostbu.html

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. I would suggest grabbing some Escudo, Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and Solani Silver Flake all three are very tasty and do have more nicotine than aromatics. All three are regulars in my rotation and are very high quality tobacco's.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Welcome lazybugger, I will agree with lawrence on the 1Q, it is a great smoke. I am breaking the cigarette hbit myself so I also still look for that "nic kick" I was used to with the coffin nails. The other day I bout a pouch of RYO DRUM tobacco. If I am really needed my nic fix I smoke a bowl of that and it works great for me.

Just an idea

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Cheers again i will try as many of those suggestions as i can find , after all its half the fun trying out new tobbacoes and i will hunt round the online stores that ship overseas till i find em all ... btw would anyone know where i might eb able to buy some of the Tewksbury and Co tobaccoes from online? specifically the bar harbour , hobbits weed and nosferatu , seems that Denver has some wierd credit card policy with overseas tobacco orders at the moment so i cant order from them direct and there a couple of us here that are dying to try em.
cheers again

Status
Not open for further replies.