PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fender60

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Sumter, SC
I am a new pipe smoker. I tried it back 1982 when I first joined the USAF; I bought a pipe at the BX and have dragged that pipe all over the place. I recently got it out and decided to try smoking it again. So far I have only tried the basic tobaccos you see in an average tobacco store. Borkum Riff, Half & Half, and Captain Black. I have watched some youtube videos and come to realize I was/am making a lot of rookie mistakes when it comes to pipe smoking. I figured I would join a forum like this to get educated on the basics and then the finer points of smoking a pipe. I have attached a picture of the one and only pipe I have; like I said I bought it in 1982.
D4lNqzb

eFusYki

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Welcome fender60! This is a great place to start, look around the different forum sections and make yourself at home. Kick your shoes off even...
Where do you live? There may be a pipe club nearby where you can meet other pipers and learn firsthand - plus there is usually lots of different tobaccos to try out before you commit to a tin.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Welcome, fender60! Enjoy the site. There is a ton of knowledge floating around in here. Just remember not to get so wrapped up in the technical aspects of pipe smoking that you forget to relax and enjoy it!

fender60

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Sumter, SC
I do want to enjoy pipe smoking. Right not I am not enjoying not being able to post a picture of my old pipe so you guys could tell me if it is a decent one or not.
Anyway, I can tell you that my wife would like for me to try aromatics; although I never smoke in the house. We enjoy an evening on the deck with an adult beverage and this is generally when I would be smoking my pipe. So along those lines, what would be some aromatic tobaccos that I maybe could try out? I can tell you that out of the tobaccos I mentioned in my first post, the one I enjoy the most is Capt. Black.
Thanks for the welcome and any advice along the way.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Welcome fender60!

Here is the link to a site sponsor, who currently running a great special

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/lanebulkoffer/1801102/

I'd recomend picking up a 2oz samples of :

RLP-6, MV-1000, Burley and Black and LL-7.

Lane Limited is the company which makes Captain Black.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would advise against wet aromatics like Lane's until you develop good packing and smoking techniques, or you'll end up with a raw tongue. If you insist on flavored tobaccos, I would suggest Angler's Dream, Autumn Evening, or many other drier blends. These tend to be more forgiving to the new pipe smoker. I would also suggest picking up a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes to give your briar pipe a rest from time to time. Welcome aboard fender, and I wish you many joys in pipe smoking!

fender60

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Sumter, SC
chasingembers, thank you for your great advice. I need all I can get at this point. I had already decided to order myself some MM corn cob pipes for the very reason you mentioned.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I love the fact you got your pipe at the BX. I used to buy cartons of Basic Lights at the BX for $8 a carton when I was 17, but that's aside the point. My advice is to just pack it, sit back, and relax. Enjoy yourself, and welcome back. :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome, Fender60 :) Am I assuming correctly by your name that you play Fender guitars? It seems you've already received some great advise, so for now I'm just part of the welcoming committee. There's always something new to learn here. My learning never ends. Good to have you.

fender60

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Sumter, SC
anthonyrosenthal, well I own a Fender and I am currently trying to learn how to play. I am looking forward to learning how to enjoy my new found hobby of pipe smoking. I started to say "master" my new hobby but I think enjoy is a better way to describe what I am looking for here.

Jan 8, 2013
well I own a Fender and I am currently trying to learn how to play.
Practice, practice, practice. Is what most will tell you. But I would say, practice as often as you possibly can, but never make it feel like a chore. Find ways to make it more fun or interesting to you. If it's an electric guitar, most will tell you not to bother with effects until you play well without them. I call that nonsense. Effects make it more fun and interesting and will make you want to practice more. However, you should be sure to practice with and without effects about 50/50 % as effects will hide mistakes you might not realize you're making. There are so many ways to learn guitar these days. You can find an instructor, or you can join a website such as JamPlay (which is basically like an online personal guitar instructor with a number of different styles and tutors) or you can find videos on Youtube. Especially, look up ways to properly care for your guitar. Proper care of your instrument is as important as learning to play it. If it's not cared for, it won't play properly, making it less fun. Most importantly, have fun with it.
looking forward to learning how to enjoy my new found hobby of pipe smoking. I started to say "master" my new hobby but I think enjoy is a better way to describe what I am looking for here.
Enjoy is the key word. Enjoyment is what we're looking for, whether it's the guitar or the pipe. Mastery will come in time.... maybe. Even the greatest guitar players will tell you there's always something new to learn. It seems to be the same with pipes as well.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
A tip from another newbie. Wet tobacco will bite. Lots of blends tend to be wet. Set a small amount of tobacco out to dry for a while. Then, while smoking, keep a nice cold drink (whatever you like) to swish over your tongue if the tobacco tries to bite. Then, just relax and enjoy the experience. Let the pipe cool, relight if necessary and carry on!
I posted that in the wrong thread a while ago, sorry.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's like riding a bike.

There is balance involved.

If you fall off, you try to learn why, and try again.

Many of us feel it's worth the effort.

The mouth and palate will become more 'seasoned' with practice.

So many facets to the experience that just smoking a pipe is only part of it.

Here, you will find like minded tobacco and pipe enthusiasts and lots of great information.

When your tongue feels very hot, put the pipe down. Don't force it.

The most essential aspect for a newbie is establishing and keeping the draw in the bowl at optimum levels.

You should be able to keep your pipe going w/o excessive or hard puffing, but rather with easy, gentle, puffs resulting in delicious mouthfuls of tobacco smoke, rather than the hot embers of a forest fire.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's some advice I give fairly often. Starting out, buy tobacco blends in small quantities, whatever you try, and even if you like something quite a bit. Your taste will change and evolve. Unless you have a total aversion to a blend, if you don't like it, save it in a sealed jar and try it later. It may have improved, or you may have grown into it. For the first two or three years, one tin, or a pouch, or an ounce or two bulk, will be plenty to sample. The pipe looks fine. You might want to supplement it with two or three Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes, and maybe another briar or two later. I'm one of many who can give you plenty of advice on that -- all varying. My take is to keep to moderate priced pipes. Others will suggest you invest for the best. Take your time. Enjoy your pipe. Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.