PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Got this new pipe working its way through the mail couriers to my home.
I was previously heavily leaning toward a calabash gourd. So close to getting it, but I balked. I just couldn't see myself making it a regular ordeal. So, I got the next best thing... a reverse calabash.
Seems like there is a pretty wide range of ideas on what a "reverse calabash" actually is. I think this one is stretching it a bit, but what the hell. I'm curious to see how it smokes. I was also interested in the pocket case. Sometimes, if I'm taking the canoe out or going for a hike, I like a meer to smoke throughout the day and the case is nice to put a pipe in a bag and not worry about damaging. The pocket case will be even more streamlined.
So, we'll see. Pretty high prices on IMP pipes these days, but they do seem to have some quality meerschaum.
IMG_0168__92771.1536979164.JPG

IMG_0183__63516.1536979164.JPG

IMG_0181__60632.1536979164.JPG

IMG_0184__38777.1536979164.JPG

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
That's a beauty. I'm envious. Would love to own an IMP. Let us know how she smokes.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks guys. Should be here soon. Tobacco is always hit and miss at the border here, but pipes come through. I'm hoping it smokes cool, especially with summer coming on.
Only minor concern was the angle of the shank to the heel of the bowl. I thought that maybe the bore hole could get a little close to the bottom of the bowl. I wore a divot in a meerschaum pipe (which I gave to a friend) by cleaning it with pipe cleaners when it was moist. Or just too much. This time, I'll take care not to drive the cleaner in to the bowl from the shank.
My hunch is that the stem will colour rapidly, because it is a much bigger chamber. We'll see. I'll smoke the heck out of it and post some pictures in a few months, but toss in an update after a few bowls to share the news.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I'm going to try not to drop it for a few days. I've maybe dropped a briar once. The meers I've had over the years, every one, including an intricate eagle claw by Baglan, I've dropped. I don't know what the hell it is. Haven't cracked a bowl yet, but I have put in a ding or two.
This one has a better fate. I love the pocket case and I think that silver accent is a nice addition. Here's hoping it's a good smoker free of gurgle. Never had a reverse calabash before, so the issue of moisture was playing on my mind before I got fed up with my indecision and went for it anyway.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
IMP does good work. Picked one up from SPC a few years ago when IMP briefly went out of business for $135. Wish I had have picked up more.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Chasing Embers - You'd be rich! Rich! Well, maybe not, but that's a great deal by today's pricing. I won't say what I paid, but it wasn't that price from a few years ago. I did think it was a little on the high end, but their meerschaum has a good reputation and the carving seems like quality.
With the state of Turkey, it could be that prices get lowered for more sales, but the seller is based in the U.S., so I think it's hard to tell if any drop in price would be passed on to the consumer. Big difference between cost of living in the U.S. compared to Turkey.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No kidding. Those at SPC were half price and since their comeback their prices have skyrocketed. Still on my radar though and those reverse calabashes are on my wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.